BS
Posted By
beryce_smith
Sep 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Okay, I’m really stressed out here, I’ve been working in Photoshop CS2 and designed a layout, i spent almost 8 hours starting yesterday, and i saved it.. I made a huge mistake and i overwrote it in Photoshop, with a document that had a screenshot of the document, and Trying to close it said "would you like to save", so i thought i must have did some changes than the other save, so then i saved it, and found out that it decreased in size, from 2.3MB to .6.. I REALLY need this file, there is no way in hell I’m going to just give it up… Please, can someone tell me how i can recover this? I seriously need it, It was one of my best.. Again, please, I’m practically crying.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BL
Bob Levine
Sep 7, 2007
You can cry all you want and I don’t blame you but there’s nothing you can do except recreate it. We’ve all been there and rest assured, it takes way less time the second time around.

Bob
BS
beryce_smith
Sep 7, 2007
That was a figure of speech, but, i heard there are ways.. God, this is bad, i worked so hard
BS
beryce_smith
Sep 8, 2007
anyone else have any ideas?
B
Bina
Sep 8, 2007
Okay,

when you over write a file you don’t actually distroy the previous version. What you actually do is to over write/distroy the file name in the FAT (File Allocation Table) on your hard disk. It is possible to recover the previous version but depending on what other activities were in progress at the time of the over write you may be able to recover all of it (usually possible) or some of it. In which case the file may not open.

However all the none sense aside, download and instal the demo version of the Active Undelete from the the link below:

http://adv.active-undelete.com/?gclid=CNTRjujMso4CFQ_nlAodVn C9yA

and run it. Look for the file name (that is over written) preceeded by tilda(~). If you find it it is then up to you to purchase the program to RECOVER the file with a diffrerent name and see how it goes.

Good luck,
Bina
wrote in message
Okay, I’m really stressed out here, I’ve been working in Photoshop CS2 and designed a layout, i spent almost 8 hours starting yesterday, and i saved it.. I made a huge mistake and i overwrote it in Photoshop, with a document that had a screenshot of the document, and Trying to close it said "would you like to save", so i thought i must have did some changes than the other save, so then i saved it, and found out that it decreased in size, from 2.3MB to .6.. I REALLY need this file, there is no way in hell I’m going to just give it up… Please, can someone tell me how i can recover this? I seriously need it, It was one of my best.. Again, please, I’m practically crying.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 8, 2007
nope. start recreating it. you’re not going to get it back.
A
andycat
Sep 8, 2007
Bina is correct. You MAY be able to recover the file. I’ve done it myself. The software recommended is good. There are others — you can find them with Google. It all depends on how much other work was done subsequently. Once the original file was "overwritten", the space allocated for it on your hard drive was flagged as usable space and may or may not have already been used. The odds of the Save As that you did using that particular disk space is actually quite low, unless your hard drive was nearly full at the time.

wrote in message
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 8, 2007
If you’d accidentally deleted the file, you could use a recovery program to get it back.

But you’ve saved over it. The old information is toast.
JJ
John_Joslin
Sep 8, 2007
Strictly speaking the data might still be there but you’d need a recovery service costing thousands, with no guarantee of success, to find out!
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Sep 8, 2007
Next time….make incremental Saves under different names. Just in case.
H
Ho
Sep 8, 2007
And just to add insult to injury, Photoshop is not layout software. Create your layouts in InDesign or Illustrator and you’ll never screw up the resolution of your original. You may screw it up some other way, but that’s another story.
A
andycat
Sep 9, 2007
It doesn’t work that way. "Save" doesn’t necessarily store the data in the same place on the hard drive. At least not in a Windows environment. I don’t know about Macs. There’s a very good chance that the file is recoverable — and you don’t need expensive software to do it.

wrote in message
If you’d accidentally deleted the file, you could use a recovery program to get it back.

But you’ve saved over it. The old information is toast.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections