JS
Posted By
John_Stirnaman
Jun 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have used Elements 3 for Macintosh for several months and suddenly when I open a photo there is extra canvas around it. This just began and I can’t find how to get the file to open with the photo filling the entire window. I know there must be a simple way to fix this, but haven’t been able to find it. Any help appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin Walls
Jun 6, 2005
Does it disappear if you do CTRL/0 [zero]?
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 6, 2005
Jim …

Try out Colin’s shortcut but on the Mac you need to use Command instead of Control …

Wendy
JS
John_Stirnaman
Jun 6, 2005
The Command/0 or Fit to Screen command doesn’t seem to make any difference.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 6, 2005
Next thing to do is a reset prefs. On a PC that would be CTRL/SHIFT/ALT – I don’t speak Mac so well, but I think it’s COMMAND/SHIFT/OPTION. Anyway, press those three keys together as soon as you start the program and accept the dialog.
C
Codebreaker
Jun 7, 2005
John….

When you say extra canvas what colour is this? Is it your current background colour or a grey/white checkerboard or something else?

Colin #2
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 7, 2005
John,

I’m on Windows but when I get your described symptom it usually means I have inadvertently maximized the current picture. At that point Fit on screen no longer has any effect. If you look at the upper right hand corner of the Editor screen just below it’s minimize/maximize/close buttons you should see a second set of buttons to the right of the "Automatically Tile Windows" button. Click the middle one to bring the picture back to normal.

If all this is unique to Windows then go to Window, Cascade and that will work, too.

Bob
JS
John_Stirnaman
Jun 8, 2005
Thanks to everyone for their help. It appears that I had indeed maximized the picture. After clicking "Automatically Tile Windows" the problem resolved.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 8, 2005
John,

Glad you have sorted it out 🙂

Wendy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections