LF
Posted By
Linda_Fjeldsted
Sep 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I switched from a dual-monitor XP laptop system to a Vista system with a single 24-inch monitor. Transferred Photoshop 7 to the new computer using Windows Easy Transfer Companion. The program works great except for one little problem:
One of the dialogue boxes — the one that pops up when I try to save a JPEG file — is positioned somewhere off the monitor, so that I can’t see it or click on it. I went back to my old computer and sure enough, I forgot to drag that dialogue box back to the main monitor before transferring.
I made the fix on the old computer and tried re-tranferring, but it didn’t change anything on the new computer. I also tried uninstalling Photoshop and reloading the from the original disc, but still no change.
I’m hoping there’s a simple command that will center that dialogue box without having to click on it.
(BTW: The video card on my Vista computer supports only one monitor.) Can anybody help? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Sep 4, 2007
trashing your prefs should fix that.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Sep 4, 2007
I tried deleting the prefs for CS2 and it had no effect upon the placement of the dialog that Linda’s having trouble with. I suspect there’s some other trick needed but I’m at a loss as to what it is right now.

Daryl
LF
Linda_Fjeldsted
Sep 4, 2007
It worked! You’re a genius! Thanks so much. – Linda
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Sep 4, 2007
Great to hear that Linda….wonder why it failed for me? Odd. Perhaps it was because I didn’t actually disconnect the 2nd monitor, but simply checked to see if deleting the prefs would bring the dialog from the secondary back to the primary monitor.
B
Buko
Sep 4, 2007
Trashing prefs puts everything back to default settings. but you need to close Photoshop first.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Sep 4, 2007
Buko, yes, I realize that and did so…by way of launching PS with the key combo that prompts for resetting the preferences. Unless yet another realaunch was needed, I’m puzzled why I didn’t observe the dialog box being reset to the primary monitor. No big deal though, as all here works fine and I was simply trying to assist Linda, but thought I was on the wrong track after not seeing the pref reset do as I expected.

Daryl
B
Buko
Sep 4, 2007
Interesting. I don’t have an answer Daryl.
LF
Linda_Fjeldsted
Sep 4, 2007
Hi, Daryl,
I really appreciate that you went to so much trouble to help solve my problem, and I’m sorry it didn’t work for you.
Actually, trashing the preferences never worked for me when I had a dual-monitor set-up. I was using a laptop at the time, and would often switch back to single monitor for travel. Photoshop is the only application I use that doesn’t automatically revert back to single monitor format on reboot. So before disconnecting, I would open all photoshop windows and physically drag them back to the laptop monitor.
I don’t know why deleting preferences didn’t work for me then, but does now. I also don’t know why these wandering windows are only a problem in Photoshop, and not in Go Live or InDesign or any of the other Adobe programs that I use.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Sep 4, 2007
Linda,

It’s never a problem to explore a solution…I enjoy learning what I can about PS, and oftentimes much of that learning comes by way of trying to assist others when I feel I could likely figure out a solution. The next trick is remembering what I learn! 🙂

Daryl
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 8, 2007
daryl, some multi monitor support sw has it’s own settings for managing dialogs, ati hydravision and nvidia nview are two i’ve run across. drove me nuts for the first week or so after i installed multi monitors (running an ati aiw9700 pro and nvidia no name pci card at that time).

I turn that option off now (currently using nvidia 7600gtx and nview desktop sw).
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Sep 9, 2007
Dave,

Yes, I now what you mean and I’m not sure why I dind’t mention that to Linda. I think it was because she was already in a single-monitor mode of operation so I assumed exploring the graphics driver options might only find certain mult-monitor option were inaccessible at the moment. I know nView has a means to force all dialogs to open on the same display for example, which might well have solved Linda’s dilemma.

Regards,

Daryl

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections