BP
Posted By
Betty_Pepau
Jun 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a regestered copy of Photoshop Elements, licensed to me, that came with either my printer (Canon) or scanner (also Canon) I don’t remember specifically. Not sure what happened, problems seemed to begin after I installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite, but suddenly PhotoShop, which had worked perfectly before, began acting strangely. So I uninstalled it, and re-installed. During the uninstall, I received some messages that said certain files were to be removed because it appeared that they were not being used any longer, but "We recommend that they not be uninstalled". So I did not remove any of those files. Anyway, I’ve uninstalled & re-installed 3 times now, have not removed any of the files that were recomended to be left alone, and Photoshop does not work like it used to. Here are the problems I’ve encountered so far:
1.) When I tried to import from scanner, it wouldn’t and the program locked up. So I just depressed ctrl/alt/del and closed the program. Now every time I open Photoshop I get the message: "The last launch failed while communicating with one of your installed cameras or scanners. We recommend you re-install or update your device’s TWAIN drivers. Try again?" And I click "NO".
Can anybody tell me what this means and what to do? This worked perfectly before.
2.) Also, when I try to "Save for the Web", I get this message: "Could not complete the Export command because this version of PhotoShop does not supply the services required by this plug-in module." I also had a prior version of PhotoShop and it had and "Export" function, but this version didn’t, so I don’t understand why this version has an error message regarding a function from an earlier version.
The "save for the web" function used to work perfectly too. How do I get the program to work properly again like it used to?
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.
Here are the results of the info I found under the PhotoShop help screen, System Info: Operating System: Windows 98
Version: 4.10 A
System architecture: Intel Pentium
Built-in memory: 63 MB
Free memory: 1 MB
Serial number: (I left off the serial # so it couldn’t be copied) Application folder: C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS\ Temporary file path: c:\windows\TEMP\
Scratch volume(s): Startup
Installed plug-ins:
3D Transform 5.0
ADM 2.81ps59 2000.09.08-1702h.48s
Accented Edges 6.0
Acrobat TouchUp Image 6.0
Angled Strokes 6.0
BMP 6.0
Bas Relief 6.0
Calculate Image Skew 1, 0, 0, 1
Chalk && Charcoal 6.0
Charcoal 6.0
Chrome 6.0
Clouds 6.0
Color Halftone 6.0
Colored Pencil 6.0
CompuServe GIF 1.0
Contact Sheet II 5.5.1
ContΓ© Crayon 6.0
Craquelure 6.0
Crosshatch 6.0
Crystallize 6.0
Cutout 6.0
Dark Strokes 6.0
De-Interlace 6.0
Detect Watermark 1.6.87
Difference Clouds 6.0
Diffuse Glow 6.0
Displace 6.0
DitherBox NO VERSION
Dry Brush 6.0
Extrude 6.0
FastCore Routines 6.0.1
Film Grain 6.0
Filmstrip 6.0
Fresco 6.0
Generic EPS 6.0
Generic PDF 6.0
Glass 6.0
Glowing Edges 6.0
Grain 6.0
Graphic Pen 6.0
Halftone Pattern 6.0
Ink Outlines 6.0
Lens Flare 6.0
Lighting Effects 6.0
Liquify 6.0
MMXCore Routines 6.0
Mezzotint 6.0
Mosaic Tiles 6.0
Multiprocessor Support 6.0.1
NTSC Colors 6.0
Neon Glow 6.0
Note Paper 6.0
Ocean Ripple 6.0
Online Services 1.0
PCX 6.0
PDF Image 6.0
PNG 6.0
Paint Daubs 6.0
Palette Knife 6.0
Patchwork 6.0
Photo CD 6.0×106
Photocopy 6.0
Photomerge 6.0
PhotomergeRender NO VERSION
PhotomergeUI NO VERSION
Picture Package 5.5.1
Pinch 6.0
Pixar 6.0
Plaster 6.0
Plastic Wrap 6.0
Pointillize 6.0
Polar Coordinates 6.0
Poster Edges 6.0
Radial Blur 6.0
Read Watermark 1.6.87
Reticulation 6.0
Ripple 6.0
Rough Pastels 6.0
Save For Web Version 1.0p43
Shear 6.0

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin Walls
Jun 4, 2005
Which version of PSE is this?
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 4, 2005
Also:

Built-in memory: 63 MB Free memory: 1 MB

Surely you’re not really trying to run with 64Mb of memory?

I guess since it’s Win98, it must be PSE 2. Have you reset prefs? Hold down CTRL/ALT/SHIFT as soon as you start the program and accept the dialog.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 4, 2005
Did you disable Zone Alarm while reinstalling?
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 5, 2005
A few thoughts, none guaranteed worthwhile. I know when I got Elements with an Epson scanner, the instructions said specifically to make sure Elements was installed before the scanner. If you installed Elements but didn’t uninstall and reinstall the scanner, that could be part of your problem.

Save for Web has separate preferences. Hold down Ctrl+Alt, then choose Save For Web. You should get a dialog asking if you want to delete Save For Web preferences. Choose yes.

As Barbara mentioned, make sure any antivirus software, etc. is disabled before installing any software.

Last, Colin mentioned memory. I’m surprised it even runs on 64MB! Are you sure that’s the right number? I thought 128MB was minimum for PSE 2.0, but I could be wrong.
BP
Betty_Pepau
Jun 6, 2005
Colin, Barbara and Beth….Thank you to all of you. This is my husband’s desktop computer. He ordered it, and I just use it from time to time, so that’s why I had installed PSE on it to begin with. I haven’t any idea what he ordered it with regarding memory. All I do know is that PSE worked before, and it doesn’t now. So I’ll try all of your suggestions and see what happens. I did not uninstall the scanner, before I tried re-installing PSE, but will do that today. I did disable everything except Win Explorer, Systray and Type 32 (that’s the MS keyboard we use with this computer) before I did all of the re-installs. Also, on the CD it says Adobe PhotoShop Elements 1.0.1 Would that be the version? I’ll see how the suggestions work and will let you guys know. Thanks again, very much.
Betty
BP
Betty_Pepau
Jun 7, 2005
Ok, here’s where we are now…..I did as Colin suggested and held down ctrl/alt/shift when PSE was loading and accepted all of the dialog. Suddenly I am now able to import from the scanner again. Works just perfectly! Thanks you you (c:
But I still can’t "Save for Web". I’m still getting the same error message: "Could not complete the export command because this version of PhotoShop does not supply the services required by this plug in module". Doggone it!
Any other ideas, you guys? Sure hope so. I’m about to either pull my hair out or break down and have to buy some other software. I don’t want to do that because I know how to use this software and I really like it. One other thing, I tried clicking the updates link for this software, and got a message that there were no updates available. Thanks again for everyone’s help.
Appreciate it,
Betty
N
nannygoat
Jun 7, 2005
Betty,

Try holding down Ctrl and Alt keys when clicking on SFW. This deletes the preferences for SFW, see if this makes a difference.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 7, 2005
Nancy … is that you with a new name??

Wendy
N
nannygoat
Jun 7, 2005
Wendy,

Nancy S = nannygoat

When I couldn’t log into the forum I just reinvented myself with a new username. πŸ™‚
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 7, 2005
Nancy …

I was a little worrried as I hadn’t seen you around for a while …. and I was also wondering who nannygoat was πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Glad to know that it was just a technical glitch πŸ™‚

…. I like the idea of reinventing yourself. There are some mornings when I just wish I could do that in real life !!

Wendy
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 7, 2005
There are some mornings when I just wish I could do that in real life !!

Hopefully not as a goat. Otherwise we’d have to arrange for you to be burnt at the stake. πŸ™‚
N
nannygoat
Jun 7, 2005
Now that’s harsh, Colin…
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 7, 2005
Colin,

Careful about saying that to a Lancastrian πŸ™‚

None Lancastrians click here <http://www.lancastercastle.com/witches.htm>

Wendy
G
GrampaHugs
Jun 7, 2005
Hi Betty,

But I still can’t "Save for Web". I’m still getting the same error message: "Could not complete the export command because this version of PhotoShop does not supply the services
required by this plug in module".

You have the same "Save For Web Version 1.0p43" on PSE1 that I do & I can’t find a way to duplicate that error. I even temporarily installed PSE1 on my wifes win 98 computer.

What extension is the image?
Do you have the file;
C;\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop
Elements\Plug-ins\Import-Export\SaveforWebL.8be ?

Alex,
BP
Betty_Pepau
Jun 10, 2005
Hi Alex, and everybody else. And thank you for trying to help. Alex, it doesn’t surprise me that you can’t reproduce the problem. Like I always tell my husband, I can produce errors on a computer that no one else has ever heard of and probably never will. Maybe I’m just unlucky! Who knows! LOL By the way Alex, the file is a jpg.
Anyway, I finally gave up after fiddling with this for over a week. Had a tech out yesterday (oh to be 20 year old brain cells again) and it took him about 5 minutes to figure out the problem and fix it. He had to remove everything (including things from the registry) that had anything to do with PSE. He then went to the PSE updates web site and found info regarding the Plug-ins. I’m not sure what he did, he was just too fast for me, but it had something to do with opening the PSE file from the CD drive and doing something with "Plug-Ins". When I asked him what the problem had been, he told me (in my non-tech language) "some parts of PSE didn’t install properly until I removed everything regarding PSE from your computer". It’s ok though, because when I told him what you guys had said about the memory, he checked and said that you all were right about that, so I had him install 128 more memory while he was here. Got a new mouse too. The kid was a good salesman <grin> and I was very thankful to have him fix that program. Like I told him….my PSE version works fine on Win98, but try finding a newer version that’ll work on anything less than Win XP. I couldn’t, so I was really stuck. Couldn’t use my version and didn’t want to upgrade to WIN XP, so couldn’t use the new version.
So there you have it! The mystery of the error message that only I could produce….LOL Thank you to all of you who spent so much time on this and are still standing there scratching your heads and wondering "what in the world that crazy lady did to get that error".
You guys take care….with great appreciation….Betty

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections