MU
Posted By
mark_umbenour
Jun 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been testing Photoshop Elements and like the "Folder Location" view. My problem is getting the view updated. Currently I use Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album 5. When manually adding folders/photos using My Computer view, PSPA updates the new folders/photos with no problems. After creating new folders (not using Adobe Photoshop) Photoshop Elements does not show the new folders. I have tried updating the Catalog with no luck. I want to switch to the more professional Adobe products but, I am not sure if I am overlooking something simple.

Thanks,
M

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin Walls
Jun 2, 2005
You are misunderstanding what folder view is for. It shows you images in the catalog, organizer in terms of folders instead of time/date etc. That’s it. Does that clarify?
MU
mark_umbenour
Jun 2, 2005
Colin,

My problem is, how do you get the catalog to update? I have "My Pictures" in the "Watched Folder" listed and the catalog still does not update or show any new folders.

Thanks,
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 2, 2005
I always do importing by hand. Watched folders are too expensive.
MU
mark_umbenour
Jun 2, 2005
Thanks, when I get home, I will look up importing and see if that works.
MU
mark_umbenour
Jun 3, 2005
I tried the import and got a message that the files are already in my catalog. Even though they are in the catalog they still do not show in the folder location view. I suppose that I am use to Jasc’s photoalbums layout. That program gives a live view of the folders and updates if any new files have been added outside of the program.

Thanks for your help and I will have to wait for Adobe to make their homeuser programs a little more user friendly for the non-professional.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 3, 2005
I suppose that I am use to Jasc’s photoalbums layout

Yes. This would explain why you are hung up on folders. Organizer frees you from all that stuff.

I would advise more, but it sounds like you’ve given up.
B
baljs53
Jun 3, 2005
Hey, Im a newbie and had the same problem. Could agree with you more about programs that aren’t user friendly. I like using watchfolders, so I am not constantly updating myself, but the watchfolder function in elements is terrible (my initial impression). I erased some duplicate pics I downloaded from my camera, and evertime I restarted elements, it kept trying to relink to those erased pictures by making a slow search of my harddrive. Heres my solution, goto File(menu)-Catalogs…-Recover. I think recover is their way of updating. Hope it helps, Good Luck, please give me feedback if you find my suggestion doesnt help. Maybe I could learn something new.
B
baljs53
Jun 3, 2005
Here’s another something I just figured out, particularly if you’re used to folder views. In Elements Organizer, go to the menu View -> Arrangement -> Folder_Location. Maybe this way you can maintain your bearings, as you switch to the Organizer’s way of doing things. Its definitely a help to me. Good Luck!
MU
mark_umbenour
Jun 3, 2005
That is what I have been doing. My problem is that the view will not update and show a new folder/file that has been created using Windows Explore or My Computer views.
Thanks again for all of you help.
B
baljs53
Jun 3, 2005
Yea, sorry, I thought the file-catalog-recover technique would do the trick. It stopped searching for the files I deleted using my explorer browser, but it did not delete them from the catalog; very frustrating. I am only using this program because my dumb IPOD requires this or adobe-photoshop-album. Would it kill these guys to make a simple program that works well?! Well at least the folder location arrangement helps me navigate in ‘elements’ better. Please post if you discover an updating technique for ‘elements.’ Thanks.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 3, 2005
My problem is that the view will not update and show a new folder/file that has been created using Windows Explore or My Computer views.

It won’t and isn’t supposed to. It will only show folders which contain pictures that have been imported into the catalog.
B
baljs53
Jun 3, 2005
….It won’t and isn’t supposed to. It will only show folders which contain pictures that have been imported into the catalog…

Well Colin, thats frustrating, because it means that I have to use elements to manage my pictures all the time. I would prefer a program that can monitor my Watchfolders for any additions and deletions and appropriately alter its own file management or in this case ‘catalog.’ But if you say that ‘elements’ will not do this, then I guess if I want to use my ipod, I better get used to doing things the ‘elements’ way. Hopefully, there will be other rewards for making this compromise. Thanks for your posts.
KS
Karin_Sue
Jun 3, 2005
"I tried the import and got a message that the files are already in my catalog. Even though they are in the catalog they still do not show in the folder location view."

When that happened to me (in Album 2) it turned out I had duplicate images in another folder than I had expected. Since Album had already imported those images from the "wrong" folder, it would not re-import them from the "right" folder. I deleted the duplicate images from the catalog, imported from the folder I preferred and everything now appears where expected when in folder view. (also my favorite view)

Find the photos in question in your catalog, check properties and find out what folder Organizer has them in.

I always put my photos into folders created in Windows Explorer, then import the folders into album later. Since Album will not make duplicates I can add new photos to my folders, then import the whole folder again and get only the new photos added to the catalog.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 3, 2005
Watched folders are supposed to be a mechanism for doing imports automatically. I have never really seen the point of burning up all that processor power all the time just to avoid about 3 mouse clicks – even I’m not that lazy. I deactivated the background process very soon after installing this software.

Importing by hand really ain’t hard – just point at the [top] folder and it’ll find any images it hasn’t seen before.
MU
mark_umbenour
Jun 4, 2005
Thanks for everyone’s help. I will stick with Jasc Photoshop Photoalbum for now. It always updates newly added/deleted files no matter what program did it. I am just glad to know that I am not the only one having this problem. I bought Adobe Photoshop Album 1.0 when it first came out and that was my biggest turnoff of the program. I thought I would try the lastest version in hopes of more user friendly improvements. Well, I will have to wait until the next version of Adobe comes out and see what happens.

Mark
B
baljs53
Jun 4, 2005
— I always put my photos into folders created in Windows Explorer, then import the folders into album later. Since Album will not make duplicates I can add new photos to my folders, then import the whole folder again and get only the new photos added to the catalog.–

But Karin, if using your Windows Explorer to delete pictures from folders, why won’t photo elements recognize the deletion and delete from its catalog automatically. If you know a way to do that, please let me know. So far I can do what you are able to do, but I would like the reverse to work as well. Thanks for your help.
KS
Karin_Sue
Jun 4, 2005
I delete from within Album (Organizer for up to date people). If you delete from windows you will get a broken link. Album can’t tell if you moved or totally deleted the photo.

In windows xp I can view my freshly downloaded photos (I like filmstrip view) and delete the worst before I import into album.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 4, 2005
if using your Windows Explorer to delete pictures from folders, why won’t photo elements recognize the deletion and delete from its catalog automatically

Because it cannot know whether you’ve moved the file somewhere else or deleted it. If you [rather foolishly] moved the file, as it is you can reconnect. If it did what you wanted, you’d lose the tags etc.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 4, 2005
Mark

Your problems with the software are not to do with user friendliness or bugs, you just expect it to do something that it was not designed to do. The paradigm is different. If you want a folder-oriented system, use some other software. The folder view in Organizer is there to let you move stuff around easily – it really isn’t an organizing tool in itself.

I’m not saying your views are wrong. Just, if you prefer to work that way, this tool is not for you.
JJ
Jim_J
Jun 4, 2005
Mark,

Did you put this into theFeature Request area?

Cheers
MU
mark_umbenour
Jun 4, 2005
I did now. Thanks
JJ
Jim_J
Jun 5, 2005
Thanks Mark,

You never know… the option might be in the next version, but it sure won’t if we don’t ask.

Cheers

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections