WB
Posted By
Walker_Bowman
May 30, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve recently started using Pinnacle Studio 9. I want to create a semi-transparent graphic (or something smaller than the total canvas size) to layer over the video, but am having trouble.

I use PSE2, and am saving the graphic (e.g. lowered opacity graphic or low res spray gun) as a .tga file. However, when opening in Studio 9, the file shows up with a white background – no transparency.

When I open a Studio 9 .tga button with a transparent background in PSE2, it loses it’s transparency and shows as a one layer graphic with a black background.

Any way around this?

Thanks,
Walker

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CW
Colin Walls
May 31, 2005
Does TGA format support transparency?
Can you use another format [that does] – e.g. TIFF or GIF? Or could you simply Copy/Paste?
WB
Walker_Bowman
May 31, 2005
Colin,

From what I understand, .tga does support transparency, but doesn’t seem to be saving the file with that feature. If you save for web in PSE2, you can check a transparency box, but there’s no such animal when saving .tga – at least not that I can find.
If I save a .tga file with transparency in PSE2, then open it again, the transparency is gone and filled in with a white background. Feels like there’s switch I’ve missed somewhere.

Thanks,
Walker
WB
Walker_Bowman
May 31, 2005
Got it – save as .tif and check the "save transparency" box that comes in the dialogue that appears after you hit save.

Walker

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections