RH
Posted By
REL_Henderson
May 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently upgraded from OS 9.2.2 to OS 10.2.8 on a Mac beige (equipped with a Sonnet G4 processor upgrade and a USB/FireWire card) and was able to upgrade from Photoshop Elements 2 to 3. However, although Version 2 works well, Version 3 has a minor problem and a major problem for me.
Minor: Whenever I try to delete a picture from within the program Version 3 crashes. It’s annoying, but I can live with it.
Major: Although I was able to print for a week or so, Version 3 now crashes whenever I try to print. I get to the printer window (the final one that asks to print) and see part of the next dialog window before the application crashes. This may be nothing more than a quirk of my HP Deskjet 990 printer (it wouldn’t be the first time).
I followed the Adobe troubleshooting suggestions (including repairing permissions, increasing memory allocation, deleting fonts and profiles, and so forth) without success. I would appreciate any suggestions.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

LM
Lou_M
May 28, 2005
Go into the Utilities folder insider your Applications folder. Open the Console application. Then open the System Log and the Console log. Are there any error messages there related to Photoshop Elements or related to printing?
RH
REL_Henderson
May 30, 2005
Thanks for suggestion, Lou, I had already tried consulting Console but got an incomprehensible list of "Threads" (etc.) that provided a large number of numbers but no suggestions to what they mean. For example, one of the first items was an entry that said "Exception: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (0x0002)", followed by entries such as "Thread 0 Crashed:" under which was a list of items such as "0xa02212a4 in _XHNDL_trapback_instruction". Under later thread entries (form "Thread 1:" to "Thread 5:") are references to "mach_msg_trap" and "syscall" and "semaphore_wait_signal_trap" and "CFRunLoopRunSpecific" and a host of other terms that I do not understand. Obviously, something is going wrong but I cannot find any hint — understandable to me, at least — of what to do.
RH
REL_Henderson
Jun 2, 2005
I just read an older thread entitled "Elements 3-Quits" (which is no longer open for posting) that shows the same crashing problem, at least two of which — and perhaps all of which — occurred in OS 10.2.8. An Epson printer was mentioned, meaning that my HP printer is not likely to be the problem. [I do have an Epson scanner, but I doubt that is relevant.] This looks like a bug to me. After spending good money for the software, I am not likely to want to throw another $40 for a support call. I am also not likely to recommend Photoshop Elements to anyone at this point, despite being a very vocal fan of version 2. If someone from Adobe looks at these things, I hope he or she feels like giving all of us some help in getting PE 3 to work as it should.
RH
REL_Henderson
Jun 4, 2005
Addendum to previous messages:
It is not printing alone that causes crashes. Anytime I try to print OR delete a picture OR move a file from one folder to another OR anything except edit PE 3 crashes/quits. I see other forum topics that make it look like one common theme may be OS 10.2.8. Come on, Adobe, let us have some help!
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 5, 2005
I hate to be the wiseacre, but PSE 3.0 did run just fine for me on 10.2.8. It still is on one of my drives, as a matter of fact.

What about regular system maintenance? Is that up to date? I’m thinking of CRON scripts, repairing permissions, etc. If I missed seeing where you’d already mentioned this, I apologize. I’m kinda tired and can’t muster the energy to review the previous page. 🙁
RH
REL_Henderson
Jun 5, 2005
Beth, thanks for the message. I have tried everything suggested in the Adobe troubleshooting document, plus a few more. I haven’t entirely given up — I do often edit in PSE 3 — but I find PSE 2 to be more than adequate for most things. My biggest complaint is that I shouldn’t be having these problems at all. None of my many other apps have this issue.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 5, 2005
OK, I admit I’ve never read the Adobe troubleshooting doc. 🙁 Do they mention the CRON scripts? Failing to stay reasonably up to date on those can cause things to become wonky. No offense intended, but I’ve been amazed at the number of Mac users who’ve never heard of this aspect of the OS, so I do like to make sure it hasn’t been overlooked.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections