JL
Posted By
John_Linsk
May 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using PSE2 for several years, and pretty much know what I am doing. My question is; I thought (maybe incorrectly) that when I add a new blank layer, and make a rectangular selection on that layer, it would fill with the foreground color. I know this happens with the shape tool, and for some reason I thought in the past that is what happened with the eliptical or rectangular marquee tool! Maybe I reset the tools to another setting, but now in order to fill the selection I have to use the paint bucket tool. Just don’t remember having to do that! Any answers or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
JHL

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin Walls
May 25, 2005
No. A selection is just a selection. Thankfully, there is no automatic filling or anything like that. That’s exactly what the shape tools are for. CTRL/DEL will fill a selection with the background colour …
BG
Byron Gale
May 25, 2005
A selection does not automatically fill with anything… once you have made a selection, you can either click inside the selection with the Paint Bucket tool to fill with the foreground color, or you can go to Edit > Fill… on the menu, and choose various fills from there.

Byron
JR
John_Rich
May 27, 2005
I recently found that once you select something with eliptical tool, 1. Backspace "clears" the area ie puts a hole in it
2. Backspace + Alt fills the area with the foreground color
3. Backspace + Cntrl fills with background color.
It also works with the "magic wand" tool.

John Rich
BG
Byron Gale
May 27, 2005
wrote
1. Backspace "clears" the area ie puts a hole in it
2. Backspace + Alt fills the area with the foreground color
3. Backspace + Cntrl fills with background color.
It also works with the "magic wand" tool.

John,

….and Backspace + SHIFT brings up the complete Fill dialog.

These key combinations work on selections made with ANY of the selection tools.

Byron

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections