CW
Posted By
Colin_Woodbridge
May 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve got a similar post in the Organiser section but I think there are a few more RAW shooters here.

I like to use the Backup facility in Organiser, especially since it allows for incremental backups. However, I’ve just learnt that Backup does not include any XMP files and I’m sure it’s not going to include the Camera Raw Database.

I’d be interested to hear what routines other folks use to back up their RAW images to include the adjustments they’ve made.

Colin

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LM
Lou_M
May 25, 2005
Hi, Colin.

I’m on a Mac, so I don’t have Organizer. Images get placed in folders based on their sequence numbers, e.g.:

/Users/Lou/Pictures/Pentax_istDS/IMGP10/
/Users/Lou/Pictures/Pentax_istDS/IMGP11/
/Users/Lou/Pictures/Pentax_istDS/IMGP12/
/Users/Lou/Pictures/Pentax_istDS/IMGP13/

After generating an XMP file for each Raw file, I backup up to 4 folders’ worth (400 images = ~4 GB) to a DVD+R. I just use OS X 10.4’s built-in "Burn Folders" feature where you just leave a copy of /Users/Lou/Pictures/Pentax_istDS/ inside a Burn Folder and it backs up everything inside.

XMP seems to be the way to go, rather than the Camera Raw Database, since in the latter case you can’t merge databases together if you ever need to restore. PSE always seems to read from the XMP files first, so even if the Raw settings are in the database and XMP files, the XMP files always win!
MB
Matthew_Bogdan
May 25, 2005
I’ve heard that the DNG format eliminates the need for xmp or the camera raw database. The person stating this was using PSCS, so I’m not sure that it works the same in PSE 3. This would make your archiving simple since the DNG would have all of the information, includingn adjustments.

Can anyone confirm this? Does the DNG file include the ACR adjustments when using PSE 3?

I’d like to convert to DNG, but it isn’t worth the effort unless it makes the adjusted raw file self-contained.
LM
Lou_M
May 25, 2005
Matthew,

I’m not sure if DNG eliminates the need for XMP, but here’s a recent discussion of it:

Lou M, "DNG — Whaddyathink?" #1, 12 May 2005 1:20 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
MB
Matthew_Bogdan
May 26, 2005
Thanks for the link. I didn’t even think that elements 3 could save an xmp file. I thought that the database was the only method of saving settings. If someone knows differently, please educate us.
LM
Lou_M
May 26, 2005
See Step 2 of my updated workflow:

Lou M, "What is your Raw workflow?" #36, 18 May 2005 3:58 pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/35>
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
May 26, 2005
I’m not sure either that DNG eliminates the need for XMP.

It seems to me that RAW is like an unprocessed film, which means you can always go back and process it differently if you want. The minute you embed some processing info into the source file you’ve lost this ability unless you record the original settings elsewhere.

Apart from which having to produce a DNG from RAW is yet another overhead.

It’s a shame really that E3 doesn’t backup the XMP files. It means I’ll have to work outside of it.

Lou, thanks for sharing your method…I guess I’m lazy and just want one button to click that does it all.

Colin
LM
Lou_M
May 26, 2005
Colin,

Yes, I can certainly understand that Adobe hides the advanced features of the Raw software from Elements users (such as chromatic aberration and whatnot). That’s no surprise and makes perfect sense.

What is surprising is that they don’t support/backup essential information such as XMP and thumbnails and rotation information (the latter two, at least, aren’t saved on the Mac; not sure about Organizer). That makes no sense at all. Anything that you can edit you should be able to save, no?

And yet Adobe whines about not getting access to Nikon’s white balance data. 😉
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
May 26, 2005
Lou….

Perhaps we should add this to the feature request list.

Colin
LM
Lou_M
May 26, 2005
Yeah, Colin, I think I posted a diatribe on that forum a few months ago. 😉

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections