JJ
Posted By
Juju_Jango
Aug 23, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I installed CS3 recently and it was working fine for a couple days, but now when I try to use the "save as" command, photoshop freezes. When I check the taskmanager it says that it is still running though. I tried uninstalling, running the cs3clean script (tried both levels), and then reinstalling, but the problem still persists. Also tried updating my graphics driver, but no luck. I am running windows XP pro with service pack 2. Any help would be much appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

FP
Frank_Pitsikalis
Aug 24, 2007
I am having the EXACT same issue. Please post here if you find a solution. I will do the same.
CE
Cutting_Edge
Aug 24, 2007
am having the exact issue at the company i am working at and am trying to solve it as i type…. any help would be great.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 24, 2007
reset the preferences per the faq.
JJ
Juju_Jango
Aug 24, 2007
If you are referring to deleting the preferences folder to force photoshop to create a new one, I have already tried that and did not have any luck.
KP
Kwan_Parker
Aug 24, 2007
You are not alone, Juju.

I am all-of-a-dang sudden encountering the same problem. But mine has just-as-all-of-a-dang sudden gone away. Also on Windows XP, SP2, all updates installed. Only I’ve been running CS3 Web Pro since its release.

I have also deleted the preferences file. No joy. Worked through the KB troubleshooting file for freeze-ups. (Troubleshoot system errors or freezes in Adobe Photoshop CS3 on Windows XP – < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 400919&sliceId=2> ) Also without joy.

I was just about to remove and reinstall when for no-dang-apparent-reason-at-all, the problem disappeared. Knock on wood.

I’m interested in what is causing your problem. Very.
JJ
Juju_Jango
Aug 24, 2007
Does anyone know if photoshop creates an error log somewhere when it crashes? This way we might at least have an error code or isolate exactly what is messing up.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 24, 2007
everyone tried this?

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.1de62d18/0>

(and has everyone reporting this deleted the prefs, or just juju?)
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 24, 2007
here’s the faq on deleting the prefs:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.ef4a07f/1>
FP
Frank_Pitsikalis
Aug 24, 2007
I tried the delete preferences suggestion…same issue.

I also tried updating my video card driver and also trying a different resolution (as recommended by Adobe support today) with no change. They seem to think the "Save As" dialog is there just off screen somewhere which is consistent with how the main window is behaving (cannot get focus) and windows task manager is not reporting that Photoshop CS3 is "not responding" (it looks like it’s running normally to XP OS).
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 25, 2007
They seem to think the "Save As" dialog is there just off screen somewhere which is consistent with how the main window is behaving (cannot get focus) and windows task manager is not reporting that Photoshop CS3 is "not responding" (it looks like it’s running normally to XP OS).

that’s the other faq i posted… the dialog box off screen faq.

you’re not running skinning software are you? (like windows blinds or something?)

also try running xp in classic mode if you’re in xp mode.

also, are you running a multi monitor util like ati’s hydravision or nvidia’s nview? those utils have the ability to mess with dialogs on an app by app basis. if you are, try turning those utils off and see if that fixes it.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 25, 2007
As for the off-screen dialog, you can also temporarily set screen resolution to the maximum available to see if it comes into view.

Then drag it to the top left of the screen.

Rob
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 25, 2007
I was going to get into that rob (as detailed in the faq) but resetting the preferences also resets all dialogs, that’s why i mentioned the utils that may be positioning the dialogs.
CL
Chris Luck
Aug 25, 2007
wrote:

… They seem to think the "Save As" dialog is there just off screen somewhere which is consistent with how the main window is behaving (cannot get focus) and windows task manager is not reporting that Photoshop CS3 is "not responding" (it looks like it’s running normally to XP OS).

I don’t have CS3 and have not experienced the problem but…

It could be a Z-order/Windows Parenting problem, by which I mean the dialog is coming up behind the Adobe main window. To test this, before you try to save put CS3 into a ‘Restored’ state (i.e. neither Maximized nor Minimised), then drag the window to the right of the screen so you get a good view of the desktop yet still have access to the File Menu.

If it really is off-screen then try this…

Hit the key combination Alt+Space, this brings up the dialog’s System menu which should be on-screen. The location of the dialog is hinted at by the menu’s position. Click the ‘Move’ function (or hit ‘M’), you should now be able to click and drag with the mouse to bring the dialog back on-screen. If the mouse action doesn’t hack it you may need to use the appropriate Arrow keys to effect the move – note that clicking may have cancelled the ‘Move’ function requiring a repeat of Alt+Space.

Hmmm. I’ve just had another (untested) thought. If the dialog is behind the CS3 window then hitting Alt+Space should show the dialog’s System menu on top (I think), again revealing the dialog’s location.

Regards,
Chris Luck

Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
JJ
Juju_Jango
Aug 25, 2007
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the advice! It turned out that the dialog box was just hiding somewhere I couldn’t see, but when I increased my monitor resolution to the max, there it was. After dragging it up to the top left corner, now it shows up there every time.
KP
Kwan_Parker
Aug 25, 2007
The Off Screen Dialog Box makes sense to me, because of what I saw when I attempted to "save as" the image. Which was: a lightning fast momentary streak of the dialog box opening and disappearing. Then behavior consistent with an open dialog box, i.e., Photoshop merely barks back at me when I click anywhere inside the window, because the dialog box must be attended to, meaning committed or canceled.

But, my monitor was already set to maximum supported resolution (1680×1050). I have made no recent resolution changes nor made any other video/system changes.

The problem was "initially" preceded by a number of copy and pastes into Photoshop. Then continued with any attempt to "save as" an image, including saving a new or duplicated image.

The following is what happened when the problem "disappeared."

The "save as" induced failure also manifested in Indesign CS2. I launched Flash CS3. It "saved as" normally. I launched Illustrator CS3. It "saved as" normally. I returned to Photoshop CS3. Lo and behold, it "saved as" normally, as did Indesign CS2.

Beats me.

If it happens again, I guess I’ll launch other suite products to see if the dialog box positioning resets, and if not, try fix #2, "Try resetting your palettes through Window>Workspace>Reset Palette locations. This fix only applies to the Palette location."

Thanks Dave and all for sharing info and experience.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 25, 2007
no prob guys. glad it’s helping some of you!
FP
Frank_Pitsikalis
Aug 25, 2007
The new video driver and maxing ou the screen res didn’t seem to bring the dialog into view (no dual display on my set up either).

What worked for me was clicking "esc" (essentially cancelling the dialog box–where ever it was) and then clicking "save as" again…the dialog came back full screen this time.

This originally started happening soon after I switched to the "Use Adobe Dialog"…I now switched it back to "Use OS Dialog" and all seems to be back to normal now.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 25, 2007
good deal frank!

What worked for me was clicking "esc" (essentially cancelling the dialog box–where ever it was) and then clicking "save as" again.

a couple versions back when this prob first occurred (vers 7 i think) the engineers at adobe thought they had it licked in cs. they said they implemented code to force the dialogs on screen. sounds like that’s what worked for you. by cancelling the "stuck" one then going again, it probably forced it back to where you could see it.

This originally started happening soon after I switched to the "Use Adobe Dialog"…I now switched it back to "Use OS Dialog" and all seems to be back to normal now.

that’s good info to know for troubleshooting. thanks!
W
Wonderer
Jan 14, 2008
I have tried every trick that was in this post. To no avail. I cannot find it, if it out there. What I have noticed is that it only occurs with images taken by my Nikon D300 in adobe RGB color space. If I use sRGB then it works fine. Can anyone please help me on this. Maybe it is a problem with Nikon.
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jan 14, 2008
"Wonderer" wrote in message
I have tried every trick that was in this post. To no avail. I cannot find it, if it out there. What I have noticed is that it only occurs with images
taken by my Nikon D300 in adobe RGB color space. If I use sRGB then it works fine. Can anyone please help me on this. Maybe it is a problem with Nikon.
You are replying to posts in the adobeforum, this NG can see them (sometimes) but they cannot see yours.
You are using Camera RAW 4.3? (shouldn’t affect your problem though) If it was a problem with the AdobeRGB colour space I would have thought that you would have got some sort of error message from within PS. Have you contacted Nikon re this problem?
TWK
W
Wonderer
Jan 14, 2008
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in news:fmgoa3$o7n$1$:

You are replying to posts in the adobeforum, this NG can see them (sometimes) but they cannot see yours.
You are using Camera RAW 4.3? (shouldn’t affect your problem though) If it was a problem with the AdobeRGB colour space I would have thought that you would have got some sort of error message from within PS. Have you contacted Nikon re this problem?
TWK
The Only error I get is when I try to "save as" or just plain "save" the program just freezes. Alt+space will give me control back to close the file however I cannot save RGB 1998 files from my camera. I can work with them and they open up in CS3 , with no problem however saving is another story.
If I am in the wrong place I will attempt the group that you said. Thanks.
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jan 15, 2008
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in news:fmgoa3$o7n$1$:

TWK
The Only error I get is when I try to "save as" or just plain "save" the program just freezes. Alt+space will give me control back to close the file however I cannot save RGB 1998 files from my camera. I can work with them and they open up in CS3 , with no problem however saving is another story.
If I am in the wrong place I will attempt the group that you said. Thanks.
It isn’t the wrong place, it’s just that the poster you was replying to is in the adobeforums http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bbf2764/ and they cannot see posts from this NG.
Registration (free) reqiured to post but not to search.
Are you opening the files directly from the camera? fry using a card reader or copying into a folder first.
Have you tried deleteing your preferences file?
Instructions in an earlier thread "Photoshop CS2 Doesn’t save."

TWK
J
JimmyG
Jan 18, 2008
I spent HOURS on the phone with Adobe, & had absolutely no luck.

It was a problem with my Windows profile. Try creating a new profile as an administrator. Log out, then Log in under that new profile. If it works, you had the same problems that I had.

After a while, the NEW profile will probably get corrupted as well.

My fix? … I had to reformat my h/d, & reinstall windows in order to get it to stop corrupting CS3.

BTW, I was using a D300 when this happened. It did this with all extensions as well.

I now have a new computer with Vista & a D300 (Expensive Holidays!). Absolutely no problems so far.

Good luck.

How do you like your D300?

Jimmy
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jan 21, 2008
"JimmyG" wrote in message
It was a problem with my Windows profile. Try creating a new profile as an administrator. Log out, then Log in under that new profile. If it works, you had the same problems that I had.

My fix? … I had to reformat my h/d, & reinstall windows in order to get it to stop corrupting CS3.

BTW, I was using a D300 when this happened. It did this with all extensions as well.

I now have a new computer with Vista & a D300 (Expensive Holidays!). Absolutely no problems so far.

Good luck.

Jimmy
I’ve just come home after three days away and to up a new D300, I wanted to buy a D200 (upgrade from D70)but no luck. I haven’t tried to open any NEF files yet. First impressions of it? A fantastic camera with a surprisingly small familarisation curve and excellent weight and build quality.

TWK
W
Wonderer
Jan 22, 2008
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in news:fn2j61$od4$1$:

Good luck.

Jimmy
I’ve just come home after three days away and to up a new D300, I wanted to buy a D200 (upgrade from D70)but no luck. I haven’t tried to open any NEF files yet. First impressions of it? A fantastic camera with a surprisingly small familarisation curve and excellent weight and build quality.

TWK
I reallylove my D300 it is great! Just upgraded from the D80. I did find that when I use Windows to import my images it causes the problems with the Adobe RGB however when I use Bridge to import the problem goes away. Thanks for all the help.

Wonderer
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jan 22, 2008
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in news:fn2j61$od4$1$:

Good luck.

Jimmy

TWK
I reallylove my D300 it is great! Just upgraded from the D80. I did find that when I use Windows to import my images it causes the problems with the Adobe RGB however when I use Bridge to import the problem goes away. Thanks for all the help.
Wonderer
Have you seen the tests, sample images and other info for the D300 at http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

TWK
W
Wonderer
Jan 22, 2008
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in news:fn549s $rup$1$:

Wonderer
Have you seen the tests, sample images and other info for the D300 at http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

TWK
Yes I have I check out that site every chance I get. I have taken some really great shots that were almost impossible with my D80. The CMOS sensor really makes a big difference when you pump up the ISO.
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jan 22, 2008

Wonderer

TWK
Yes I have I check out that site every chance I get. I have taken some really great shots that were almost impossible with my D80. The CMOS sensor really makes a big difference when you pump up the ISO.

"Pump up the ISO".. sounds like an old disco track;) Looking for a good lens now to complement the body, definately VR. I’m using the 18-70 that came with my D70 and I have a new 50mm f1.8 "standard" lens that works like a 75mm portrait lens and is fast and sharp as a razor. I have several of the older G type Nikkors from when I used film.Just have to convince my wife.

Regards
TWK
W
Wonderer
Jan 31, 2008
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in news:fn5t0j$hdj$1$:

Wonderer

TWK

"Pump up the ISO".. sounds like an old disco track;) Looking for a good lens now to complement the body, definately VR. I’m using the 18-70 that came with my D70 and I have a new 50mm f1.8 "standard" lens that works like a 75mm portrait lens and is fast and sharp as a razor. I have several of the older G type Nikkors from when I used film.Just have to convince my wife.

Regards
TWK
I have the 50mm f/1.8 also and I also have the 18-200 VR zoom lens and just aquired the 70-200 VR f/2.8. Spending way to much money!
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jan 31, 2008

Wonderer

TWK

Regards
TWK
I have the 50mm f/1.8 also and I also have the 18-200 VR zoom lens and just aquired the 70-200 VR f/2.8. Spending way to much money!
Less for wine, women and song;)
Do you not tend to keep the 18 -200 on all the time though? What you need is another body to stop all the tedious lens changing. My mate, a wedding pro, (who I’m thinking of robbing) has a 70 200 which he uses for church interiors only where flash is banned.

TWK
W
Wonderer
Feb 5, 2008
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in news:fns6p8$ktj$1$:

Do you not tend to keep the 18 -200 on all the time though? What you need is another body to stop all the tedious lens changing. My mate, a wedding pro, (who I’m thinking of robbing) has a 70 200 which he uses for church interiors only where flash is banned.
TWK
I also have a D80 which I use along with my 300. Yes I do use my 18-200 most of the time but it is only a f/3.5-5.6 not as fast as I like for sports that does not always allow for flash, I recently went to a cheer competition and the f2.8 really was the best for the action and low light.
P
Peter
Feb 6, 2008
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in message

At my age I need another body, not only to carry my equipment. <vbg>

Seriously, does anyone but me think the Nikon 18 – 200 is a little on the soft side and that it is not a true 200?

Peter

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections