Malcolm_Gibbon
Aug 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Will Photoshop CS2 work under Windows Vista

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 18, 2007
Windows has an operating system?
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 18, 2007
Best answer you’ll get is maybe. It’s not supported but should run.

Bob
I
ID._Awe
Aug 18, 2007
I ran CS2 under Vista64 without a problem. YMMV.
DL
David_Lampel
Aug 18, 2007
I have installed the complete CS2 under Windows Vista Home Premium. Everything works splendidly. I would suggest that you interpret Adobe’s non-support of this combination for what it is: an unwillingness to support that which they have not thoroughly tested–not a declaration that it will not work.

Dave
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Aug 18, 2007
"Unsupported" just means Adobe don’t provide support (you can’t get help from them if there’s a problem), not that Vista won’t support operation of Photoshop CS2. Some people have gotten CS2 to work just fine under Vista, while others have had issues. If you are technically adept, you can probably get it to work. Come to this forum for assistance.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 18, 2007
an unwillingness to support that which they have not thoroughly tested

How on earth could they have tested it, at a time that Vista didn’t exist. Rob
DL
David_Lampel
Aug 18, 2007
No offense toward Adobe intended. They have no obligation to support it.

Dave
JW
John_Waller
Aug 19, 2007
They have no obligation to support it.

Perhaps but they could at least have made an effort with CS2 like many other manfacturers have done:
https://winqual.microsoft.com/member/softwarelogo/workswithl ist.aspx

Cynics may be tempted to suspect that they have quietly used lack of support for Vista as leverage for their "upgrade to CS3" marketing.

But not me 🙂

Regards

John Waller
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Aug 19, 2007
Given Adobe’s indifference toward ever providing a fix for the license manager for PS CS, or else a patch to outright disable it, which is totally within their control and not as impacted by software from other parties, be it the O/S or otherwise, something like trying to provide CS2 compatiblity with Vista is not an effort I’d expect to see them put forward. Seeing another thread in here from a user who encountered an unexplained PS CS reactivation prompt, only to find Adobe’s activation server unavailable, reminds me how long overdue a solution from Adobe is for that problem rather than ignoring it so as to encourage an upgrade at the user’s expense. Vista seems easily an excuse for Adobe to tell PS users they need to upgrade to CS3 if they plan to run Vista, and thus continue to show favoritism to shareholders over customers. That said, I do also realize Vista has changed things quite a bit, so it’s not altogether suprising that an application update would be needed.

Regards,

Daryl
MG
Malcolm_Gibbon
Aug 19, 2007
Thank you all for your comments and advice. I will duly try to load my CS2onto my new computer and see what happens. I agree with the general tone of the comments that Adobe are less than helpful in these matters. Other software manufactures such as Serif and Photodex in particular have been very forthcoming in providing the necessary information to facilitate the smooth running of their software under Vista. They put Adobe to shame.

Malcolm Gibbon
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 19, 2007
The policy makers at Adobomedia have saddled the poor software and quality engineers with producing synchronised updates for more products in more flavours and more suites than ever before.

It is no wonder that the company has made a complete ballsup of it!

I feel sorry for the engineers. It’s a pity they can’t fire the management!
N
nospam
Aug 20, 2007
wrote in message
They have no obligation to support it.

Perhaps but they could at least have made an effort with CS2 like many other manfacturers have done:
https://winqual.microsoft.com/member/softwarelogo/workswithl ist.aspx
Cynics may be tempted to suspect that they have quietly used lack of support for Vista as leverage for their "upgrade to CS3" marketing.
But not me 🙂

Microsoft pulls this nonsense once in a while, e.g. try asking them why Flight Simulator X requires Windows XP and will not run under Windows 2000.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections