SA
Posted By
Shawn_Allgeier
May 24, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do you make part of a layer transparent so that layers underneath show through? I could do this back when I had the full version of photoshop. Can this be done in elements?

thank you,
-Shawn
-Powerbook G4

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin Walls
May 24, 2005
Have you tried using the Eraser tool? That’s a good starting point.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 24, 2005
Shawn,

Yes it can be done and the methods are basically the same as when you used Photoshop …

First make sure that the layer you are working on is not the background layer, use any of the selection tools to select the area you want to keep then Select>Inverse and Edit>Delete.

Hope this helps … but if you get stuck just let us know 🙂

Wendy
MK
Mark_Kenwright
May 24, 2005
Hi Shawn,

You could also try changing the blending mode and the opacity of the top layer(s) if you don’t want to completely erase the images.

Mark
SA
Shawn_Allgeier
May 24, 2005
Erasing works but then i’ve erased part of that layer so I can’t move it later. I’m making a collage of pictures so it would be nice to remove parts near the edges where pictures overlap but I might have to reposition some of them. I used to use layer masks and then paint the parts I wanted to remove. I don’t want to permanently alter any of the layers so that I have as much flexibility as possible.

Thank you,
-Shawn
TM
Tom Murray 1
May 24, 2005
Use the layer mask in Grant’s Tools;
<http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Challenge/Tools/index.html>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections