C
Posted By
copyright2001
May 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know if it’s possible to backup my catalog and photos to CD/DVD wihtout Photoshop Elements renaming the files to something like B0000000.jpg, B0000001.jpg, etc.?

I read in the help that it does this when you backup/move files to another folder on an internal drive so you don’t have multiple copies of the files (with the same name).

But it doesn’t seem to say that it would do this when backing up to CD/DVD. I really don’t want it renaming my files when I back them up.

The program seems to rename the files even when I backup to a CD or DVD (both writable and re-writable).

I’m using the trial version with WinXP and an internal BenQ DW1600 DVD burner. I even tried backing up the files to a USB key and it still renamed the files.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
narya
May 22, 2005
Sorry, but this behaviour is not customizable. But PSE will rename the files to their original names (and paths) when you get them back via "File > Restore" so you should not worry about it too much.

To retain the names use "File > Export" instead, if you want to keep the folder structure as well, you’ll have to use a 3rd-party burning application …

Alexander.

Canon Ixus 430 (aka S410) | x86 with XP Pro | PSE v3.0.1 with 3k images | 12" Powerbook soon 🙂
CW
Colin Walls
May 22, 2005
Either you are missing the point or using the wrong facility.

A PSE backup has one possible use: being restored by PSE at a later date. It will restore th eentire folder structure and the catalog. How it does it is no particular concern of yours. Why bother looking at the backup disks other than curiosity?

If you just want to copy images to a CD, use File/Burn or follow Alexander’s suggestions.
C
copyright2001
May 23, 2005
Thanks for the feedback Narya and Colin.

I was hoping it was something wrong with my setup but it looks like it isn’t. I’ve just started using PSE to organize my photos and have always done it manually. I’d really like to be able to still easily backup photos to a CD/DVD with their original names so that they can be retrieved at a later date without the need of PSE (but most likely I’d use PSE).

I guess I’ll just have to use a 3rd party app then as Narya suggested.
CW
Colin Walls
May 23, 2005
You could simply use File/Burn with the Move option.

Personally, I have a strong dislike of optical media, as I like everything to be at my fingertips. With external USB hard drives costing arounf $1/Gb, they are very cost effective and flexible.
O
o3v3tz
May 23, 2005
Colin – you said File/Burn with the Move option. However, my interpretation of the submitter’s intention was that File/Burn with the Copy option would have been the choice because I thought the intent was to leave the photo files on the hard drive but have an extra copy on the CD.

However, when "retrieved at a later date …most likely I’d use PSE" is added, that does become somewhat ambiguous.

Note to the thread originator:

Copy Leaves existing photo file on hard drive and burns a Copy of the file on CD/DVD; the CD/DVD "extra" copy is not tracked in PSE Organizer

Move Removes existing photo file from hard drive and then PSE Organizer tracks photo on CD/DVD to which it was burned

As stated above, I interpret your intent to be Copy.

Barb O
C
copyright2001
May 23, 2005
Barb,

My intent would be to use the copy feature since I’d like to keep all the photos on my hard drive and just have a 2nd "backup" copy on CD/DVD in case my computer dies and the files are not retrievable.

But I would still like those backup copies to be standalone, meaning if I open the backup CD without using PSE, I don’t just see a all the photos renamed having nothing to do with their original names from the camera.
N
narya
May 23, 2005
AFAIK, the Burn (neither with "copy" nor "move") won’t recreate the folder structure on the CD – but this will be easy to find out 😉

Alexander.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections