G
Posted By
gbshuler
May 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can I import images from a Scanner using Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) and Photoshop Elements 3.0?

If so, can anyone recommend a scanner brand and model I can go out and buy which will "just work" with Elements 3.0, and Tiger?

With Elements 2.0 I had to go to "classic mode" to get the software to recognize the scanner (I had a CanoScan LiDE 30 — which I returned since I didn’t want to use "classic mode"). I have been waiting for the "next generation" of Elements and OS X to fulfill my quest of scanning photos seamlessly (without slow, klunky third party tools such as VueScan).

Thanks for any help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BL
Bryan_Los
May 10, 2005
Elements 3 will work with the latest drivers and toolbox for your scanner. I just had a time doing it, but I got it to work.

Download the toolbox for your scanner. It will install in Applications > CanoScan…..

Then download the latest OS X driver, it will then install the driver in the Applications> CanoScan..>Plugins. Now duplicate the driver located in Plugins. Then take that duplicate, and move it into the Elements>Plugins>Import/Export folder. Then remove the copy tag, so the name is the same as the one in your CanoScan folder. Then get info, and open with Elements 3.0. Then restart Elements (or your mac, I did both). Then go to File>Import, and you’ll see CanoScan as an item. You can now scan.

I wish they would have made this easier.

Bryan
BL
Bryan_Los
May 10, 2005
You may not need the toolbox if you only plan on using Elements, but you will need the toolbox if you plan to use the buttons on your scanner.

Bryan
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 10, 2005
Bryan,

Wow… I did no such thing and my Canon LiDE 35 works within PSE2 and 3… I wonder why.. I did download the latest software from Canon, perhaps it helped.

However, I just checked, and it works fine with Photoshop CS2 and I haven’t done anything special since I installed it.

Ray
G
gbshuler
May 11, 2005
Thanks Bryan.

I sold my last scanner to an Apple employee through eBay. Seems like when I bought it (about 2 years ago), there was no Canon support for OS X. I remember checking their web site over and over.

It sounds like Canon is now better about OS X scanner support. I’ll check it out!

Brad
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 11, 2005
Actually, Canon was about the first company to have OS X support for their scanners, back in 10.1. Of course, there’s sometimes a bit of a lag when a system update breaks something, but on the whole their track record for Mac support is one of the best. (There’s one model LIDE that isn’t well supported, though. Can’t remember which. But even my elderly n1240U works well in OS X.)
G
gbshuler
May 11, 2005
For Pete’s sake! It’s Canon’s kooky website that messed me up.

I just went to the page (USA Canon LiDE 35 downloads):
< http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=DownloadDeta ilAct&fcategoryid=351&modelid=10241>

Looking at it, all I saw was "No Additional Downloads Available". Doesn’t look very promising does it?

I didn’t think to click on the "Drivers/Software" text. I won’t call it a "link" because it is not underlined. Since "Drivers/Software" wasn’t underlined I didn’t click on it.
N
narya
May 11, 2005
While we’re at Canon Scanners and Mac OS – does anybody know of a way to use a CanoScan D1250U2F with a Mac? Apple does not list this one as supported and the Canon site only has drivers for Windows. I read somewhere about some open source projects trying to compile drivers for some "missing" scanners in OS X, but couldn’t find anything concrete …

Thanks!

Alexander.

Canon Ixus 430 (aka S410) | x86 with XP Pro | PSE v3.0.1 with 3k images | 12" Powerbook soon 🙂
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 12, 2005
Have you checked with VueScan ? It could be your lucky day… !

Ray
N
narya
May 12, 2005
Have you checked with VueScan ? It could be your lucky day… !

Yes, I already had and no, it’s not 🙁

Thanks for the tip, though! I guess I’ll just have to buy a new one, after all it wasn’t too expensive …

Alexander.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 12, 2005
Since scanning isn’t something I do a lot, and when I do, it’s usually very ordinary stuff, I took an inexpensive Canon LiDE 35. It has the added advantage of being electrically fed by the computer (USB 2.0 only). One less cable!

Ray
N
narya
May 12, 2005
Yes, I already had that one in mind. My current D1250U2F does provide transparency scanning, but the results are far from acceptable, so I won’t mind missing this feature …
N
narya
May 12, 2005
BTW, does the LiDE 35 work directly with PSE/Mac, or did you have to install Canons drivers?

Alexander.
LM
Lou_M
May 12, 2005
Canon scanners require a plug-in.
CS
carl_sutherland
May 12, 2005
Does anyone know of a good source for clues on how to optimize all the features in VueScan? Hamrick doesn’t offer support. Is there a forum for VueScan somewhere. Any info would be appreciated. Also, can I use VueScan with my MicroTek 6800 with OS X 10.4?

Thanks

Carl
N
narya
May 12, 2005

Will this be provided by Canon or by Apple? Or do I have to buy some 3rd-party plug-in?

Alexander.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 12, 2005

I just installed Canon CanoScan software (followed the instruction) and my scanner works with both PSE2, PSE3, PSCS and PSCS2. I had nothing to do manually for that.

When click on File / Import / Canon LiDE35, I get the ScanGear window and scan from there.

Ray
N
narya
May 12, 2005
I just installed Canon CanoScan software

We’re still talking Mac here, are we?
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 12, 2005
Yes. Powermac G5 dual pro 😀

Ray
LM
Lou_M
May 12, 2005
Ray: Braggart! 😉

Alexander: Canon provides the plug-in as part of the tools installation. There’ll be a "ScanGear CS 7.0X" plug-in in this folder:

Applications/Photoshop Elements 3/Plug-Ins/Import/Export/
CS
carl_sutherland
May 12, 2005
Lou,

Did he "Vaunt" over us? I happen to be listening to The Iliad and this translation of Homer uses that word a lot.

Do either of you know anything about VueScan?

Thanks

Carl
N
narya
May 13, 2005
Canon provides the plug-in as part of the tools installation. There’ll be a "ScanGear CS 7.0X" plug-in in this folder

Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll just wait until my PB finally arrives and leave the scanner question open for now. I can still use my Windows box for occasional scanning in the meantime.

Alexander.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections