WE
Posted By
Wendy_E_Williams
May 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A couple of months ago my husband signed up for 3 issues of Digit Magazine and when May edition came out it included a full working copy of Knoll Light Factory:

<http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products.html>

I was playing around last night and decided to try installing it in PSE2 AND ……. it works!!!

Has anyone else tried it … I think it is brilliant 🙂

Wendy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin_Walls
May 8, 2005
It looks cute. I wouldn’t pay the $400 list for it though!

I notice that this back-issue is available for £6, but the Web site is very vague about what’s on the CD … I might go check whether it’s still on WHS’ shelves …
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 8, 2005
Colin …

Take a look at the carpark site, go to Products then click on KLF2 and you will find more info about the offer …. it is also available with Mac World Plus.

Here is the link to the carpark site:

<http://www.thecarpark.net/index.htm>

My husband got the trial 3 month subscription to Digit for a £1 (I suspect because he subscribes to Mac World) … the magazine didn’t really suit me … however the CD’s did have some good free programs (full versions). Main ones were:
April … Amapi 6.1 3D modelling software (Mac & windows) May … Knoll Light Factory 2 (Mac & Windows)
June … Panoweaver 3 standard Edition (Windows)

I don’t know if KLF2 will work in PSE3 but it certainly does in PSE2

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 8, 2005
I wouldn’t pay the $400 list for it though!

It"s advertised at 99$ on this page. I just saved you 301$ 😀

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/knollphotoshop.html

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 8, 2005
Ray …

Its amazing the different prices that are quoted …

Mind you … I can’t complain at the price I paid 🙂

Its actually very good … not only do you get 19 presets which are fully adjustable and scaleable but you can also design and add your own.

Its a nice new toy and I am hooked 🙂 🙂
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 8, 2005
Wendy,

I’ve been looking at this one for a long time :

http://www.autofx.com/mystical_lighting/mystical_lighting.ht ml

But there’s always something else to upgrade (yesterday it was Photoshop CS2). I tried the demo of Mystical Lighting and I was sad to see it end (contrary to certain products I declare the demo ended soon before the real dead line!!)

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 8, 2005
Hi Ray …

I have looked at Mystical Lighting a few times but for the number of times I would use it I can’t really justify the cost :(.

Anyway … CS2 …. so whats it like !!!!. I am saving all my spare cash and by the time CS3 comes out I may just have enough 🙂

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 8, 2005
Just in case anyone was wondering I can now confirm that KLF2 … works in PSE3 too.

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 8, 2005
CS2 is a welcomed upgrade, for me…

– Vanishing Point : You absolutely can’t beat that! It’s out of this world (no pun!) You can make things disappear, keeping the perspective. You can replicate stuff as well, still keeping the perspective (adding a window, removing a door out of a house, for example). There’s a healing mode where you can, say make something disappear, and PSCS2 (PC2, shorter) matches the surrounding. Little work is needed to complete the work. It can even flip and flop the objects you clone to respect the lighting condition.

– Image Warp : Curling, directly in Photoshop. You can curl a picture, simulating 3rd party plug-ins.

– Smart Sharpen – One step closer to salvaging badly focussed pictures (I did mean one step closer, it won’t do miracle).

– Filter Gallery is faster, it’s usable now (it was too slow under CS). Now, yesterday when I tried it, it was optional. This morning, it’s back to "through me or no way".

– Photoshop CS2 is way faster than CS was, following my upgrade to 10.4 It only slows at opening a picture and using Adobe Bridge.

– Since I have nothing good to say on Adobe Bridge, I’ll skip this subject. iPhoto is a really nice tool, you know 🙂

– Photoshop CS2 icon is a feather, a real plus if you’re upgrading from Photoshop Elements 3 and cannot for your own sake see this couple one more day.. 🙂

– Lens distortion correction. Again, very, very handy with those compact digital camera.

– Camera Raw now has the ability to process multiple files at the same time. Now, for those you will argue that no pictures need the same amount of this and that, it’s true if you go out on a photo trek. But Camera Raw also serves the professional, those who shot 55 pictures of a guy with his toothbrush and keep only 1 one, for demo purposes… 🙂 I mean, all those shots will be under identical lighting condition, with the same guy, clothed the same way in all those 55 pictures.

– Smart objects : it kind of stores an orginal of an object and will let you apply all sorts of filters on it (gradients, etc.) and it will update all the copies of it. Very handy! It also is used when you resize an object, and later decides you want it full size again. It doesn’t work if you want to make the object than it was originally.

– Spot Healing brush : make your credit card bills vanish like if they weren’t in the day’s mail 🙂 Options are placed differently but it functions identically as in PSE3.

– Finally, the ability to apply a 3D transform live, on an object instead of using the old filter (which is installable if you dig the Goodies folder, included even with the download version, as opposed to PSE3).

The Cons :

There were no Barbara Brundage’s Missing Manual for Photoshop CS2 book, nor was it shipped with Jodi’s Missing Styles. I must have got a defective unit… I need to call Adobe on that 🙂

Ray
TM
Tom Murray 1
May 8, 2005
Ray, you are motivating me to install my copy of CS2.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 8, 2005
Go ahead, Tom. It’s a brilliant piece of software! You’ll have much fun with it 🙂

Ray
TB
Tom_Bruno
May 11, 2005
I’m trying to get the Knoll Light Factory demo to run

You guys have me intrigued. I downloaded the KLF demo and ran the install, which apparently completed successfully But — I don’t know where the program or filters are located. Do you get KLF to run in a PSE pull-down menu? Or is it a standalone? Any tips?

Tom B.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 11, 2005
Tom,

I have it installed as a photoshop plugin in Elements (thats what was included on the disc I received …. I understand that there also is a stand alone). It installed itself (in the wrong place) so I simply did a search on the name then dragged the "Knoll Light Factory 2" folder into the Plug Ins folder of Elements and then it worked.

Access to it is via the Filter menu … Just do Filter and it should appear at Knoll Light Factory should appear at the bottom of all your other filters.

Hope this helps

wendy
TB
Tom_Bruno
May 11, 2005
Wendy, thanks, that was the cure.

The program had installed itself under c:\program files\Knoll Light Factory 2. I manually cut the whole Knoll folder and pasted it into C:\Program Files\Adobe\PE3\Plug-Ins. Now when I start PE I see the Knoll program under filters. That works.

Now…the trick is to figure out how to make use of it. I see green crosses on my image. Maybe that’s the demo’s watermark, I don’t know. Early impression is that it seems like fun.

Tom B.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 11, 2005
Tom …

I would imaging that the crosses are the watermarks …. anyway glad that you are now up and running 🙂

Wendy
TM
Tom Murray 1
May 15, 2005
I will confirm Knoll Light Factory and a bunch of other stuff on CD when you buy Macworld Plus on the news stand. $16
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 15, 2005
Tom …

Did you get the full version from the magazine? …

I’m still playing with it 🙂

Wendy
TM
Tom Murray 1
May 15, 2005
Hi Wendy,
As far as I know it is.
There are 40 different " lenses" with many ways to modify each one. I used two simple ones on my 2nd Challenge entry that I just sent, but it won’t be up until tomorrow.
It is 1:22 AM here.
Considering Light Factory is $99 from Alien Skin, I thought it was a pretty good deal. Plus you get other plug-ins that might be of some value. It says KLF is worth £55, I am not sure what that is in $.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 15, 2005
Hi Tom,

I was lucky with my Light Factory … in was in a three month trial of digit magazine and the trial cost was only £1 (nearly $2). So it was a bargain !! … I’m still experimenting with it but it does have a lot of flexibility.

Look forward to seeing your entry

Wendy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections