KS
Posted By
Kathy_Shearer44
May 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Elements 1. I want to place an image of an arrowhead on a map image that I’ve already placed in Pagemaker. I photographed the arrowhead on a white background and then used the Magic Eraser Tool to render the white area transparent. The grey and white grid indicates the correct transparent area. Under "Layers" I locked the transparent pixels. I saved this image as a TIF (required for commercial printing)and specified that the transparency be saved. However, when I place this new image on the page, the white background shows up. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin_Walls
May 6, 2005
I have some vague memory that PageMaker doesn’t support transparency, but I could be wrong.

Have you tried doing a simple copy/paste instead of going via the TIFF file?
KS
Kathy_Shearer44
May 7, 2005
Yes, I tried the copy>paste route with no success. I think perhaps I have to create the whole image in PS first and save it as one tif rather than piecing it together in PageMaker. I thought it would be possible, since I have layered tifs in PM before, but never tried one with a transparent section.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 7, 2005
Kathy, try this:

Donald Gruener, "3.6 – TIF: Maintaining transparency from Photoshop to PageMaker" #1, 23 Jan 2002 9:18 am </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>

PE’s closest equivalent would be a saved/loaded selection, but I don’t think that saved selections were available in PE 1 (It will be down near the bottom of the selection menu if so). If they aren’t try just making a selection before exporting to PM and see if it carries over. If it doesn’t, you might want to ask this in the Pagemaker forum.
KS
Kathy_Shearer44
May 7, 2005
Thanks for the link. I’ll give this a try.
R
RSD99
May 7, 2005
As you have found out, in the TIFF file format a ‘blank’ pixel is usually assumed to be white. Page Layout programs … and the TIFF file format … use a different method to define transparency.

First:
You need to define your transparent areas by making a clipping path.

Second:
Import the file … *with* the clipping path … into PageMaker, and assign the clipping path.

For more information, I suggest that you use your favorite local search engine and the search string

transparency TIFF "clipping path"

(*with* the quotes).

Or … for starters … see

http://pdesigner.net/photoshopcs/1_1_4_11.html

wrote in message
I’m using Elements 1. I want to place an image of an arrowhead on a map
image that I’ve already placed in Pagemaker. I photographed the arrowhead on a white background and then used the Magic Eraser Tool to render the white area transparent. The grey and white grid indicates the correct transparent area. Under "Layers" I locked the transparent pixels. I saved this image as a TIF (required for commercial printing)and specified that the transparency be saved. However, when I place this new image on the page, the white background shows up. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections