Posted By
D_C_G
May 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello and thanks for the help,

I’m archiving some old negatives (1920-1960), and I’m having difficulty finding the grain size. I need these sizes to confirm my choices for scan resolutions (1200dpi vs. 2400dpi vs. 4800dpi), so that I don’t waste a lot of time scanning at the wrong resolution.

The films are mainly Kodak Black and White negatives with the "Kodak Safety Film" stamps. Unfortunately, they don’t have any other useful information on their labels.

I’ve searched the web looking for a table of representative grain sizes for films from the 1920s, 1930s, etc., but couldn’t find anything. There are comments about the effects of grain size, but no actual numbers (example:
0.1mm x 0.05mm average).

I would appreciate it if someone could point me to a reference showing the typical grain sizes of older negative films.

Thanks,
DCG

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin_Walls
May 6, 2005
Surely grain size is actually a function of both the film and the processing.
K
Ken._Cavaliere-Klick
May 6, 2005
I doubt the grain size is relevant in terms of scanning. Your output resolution is more important. You could contact Kodak directly and they may have a more specific answer. I think you will find that a high scan resolution my pick up flaws that you really hadn’t noticed, like fine scratches, streaks from film drying, finger prints, waxy residue from glassines and whatnot. I think you also may be surprised that the images are not as sharp as you thought. You did not say what size film you had. Plate? Sheet? Roll? 35mm?

If I had to come up with a solid answer, I would scan at 1200 and let PE do it’s magic. There’s little point in scanning at too high a resolution only to not need the extra data.
JM
Joseph Meehan
May 6, 2005
wrote:
Hello and thanks for the help,

I’m archiving some old negatives (1920-1960), and I’m having difficulty finding the grain size. I need these sizes to confirm my choices for scan resolutions (1200dpi vs. 2400dpi vs. 4800dpi), so that I don’t waste a lot of time scanning at the wrong resolution.
The films are mainly Kodak Black and White negatives with the "Kodak Safety Film" stamps. Unfortunately, they don’t have any other useful information on their labels.

I’ve searched the web looking for a table of representative grain sizes for films from the 1920s, 1930s, etc., but couldn’t find anything. There are comments about the effects of grain size, but no actual numbers (example:
0.1mm x 0.05mm average).

I would appreciate it if someone could point me to a reference showing the typical grain sizes of older negative films.
Thanks,
DCG

Grain size is not that simple. Processing makes a difference, type of grain will make a difference it is a complex subject not easily quantified.

Even then it would be best to do some sample scans than to rely on any formula or general rules.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
May 6, 2005
The main point about picking a scan resolution is to know where you are going. Basically the bigger the enlargement your going to make the more ppi you’ll need.

Colin #2
JJ
Jim_J
May 6, 2005
Ken,

I’m certainly no expert on film, but 1200 seems a bit excessive or?

Cheers
CW
Colin_Walls
May 6, 2005
1200 seems a bit excessive

Most neg/slide scanners tend to be used at 2400 or 3600spi. If you do the maths, 2400spi for a 35mm equates to 12×8 print at 300ppi.
DC
D_C_G
May 6, 2005
Ken,

My film sizes range from 4"x5" B&W, 6cmX6cm medium format color and B&W, and a few 35mm color. They are mainly sheet or 3 exposure strips.

My goal is to preserve these images (archiving). I’m building a genealogy record.
JJ
Jim_J
May 6, 2005
He didn’t mention what units he was using though. (It’s the only excuse I have on short notice. 😉

Cheers
wrote in message
1200 seems a bit excessive

Most neg/slide scanners tend to be used at 2400 or 3600spi. If you do the maths, 2400spi for a 35mm equates to 12×8 print at 300ppi.
BL
Bill_Lamp
May 9, 2005
For archive use, I’d recommend scanning with your slide/negative scanner at as high a PHYSICAL resolution as possible. If you haven’t already, take a look at www.scantips.com for what may be the best tutorial available (free) and www.hamrick.com for their scanning software. They have a free trial download. It sure beats Nikon-Scan and the software included with my Epson scanner.

Bill

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections