RF
Posted By
Robert_F_Carruth
May 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PE3 was loading a lot slower than in the past so I checked Task Manager and found that somehow three start up programs (courtesy of my 5650 printer) that I had disabled in msconfig were running again. After disabling them again I am now back to a 20 sec load of Editor after a restart and 6 secs for each subsequent load.

The programs under Startup in msconfig are hpcmpmgr, hpotdd01, and hptskmgr. A Google search on those names will bring up information on what they do. In my case, since I don’t use any of the bundled HP Software or have any other HP equipment, eliminating them has no effect other than to free 17 k of memory and speed up my PC.

To solve the reappearance I have used Winpatrol to permanently delete them from Startup rather than just unchecking them in msconfig. Winpatrol is a handy freebee at <http://www.winpatrol.com/> .

FWIW experiment carefully and don’t permanently eliminate until you are sure everything still works. 🙂

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin_Walls
May 4, 2005
Although not directly useful to me [no HP kit], it is refreshing to read some advice around here that doesn’t blame Adobe for everything going wrong/slow/pear-shaped.

It’s not winning that counts, it’s placing the blame. 🙂
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 4, 2005
Colin,

So far, with the exception of the two Adobe services, I have not found very much to blame Adobe for. Given a proper install it’s a very stable piece of software in my experience. Must admit that I don’t use many of the features of Organizer other than organization and might run into trouble if I did.

I should have mentioned that the performance improvement is PC wide. Over the last few months I’ve researched and stopped as many services and start ups as I can without causing problems and it has paid dividends. And I do like to win occasionally. 🙂

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections