DL
Posted By
Donald_L._Cline
May 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When in the organizer, if I highlight a particular image and then click on "Standard Edit" I immediately get a "System Error" dialog that says "The Parameter is incorrect." When I click on OK, the entire application disappears and I have to reload it.

If I go the other way — i.e., load the editor to begin with and then search and find the image I want to edit, it seems to work okay.

Why can’t I go from the Organizer to the Editor? That IS what the icon is there for, isn’t it?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin_Walls
May 4, 2005
First thing to try is a catalog recover, if you haven’t done one lately – File/Catalog/Recover.

Come back if that doesn’t help.
JJ
Jim_J
May 4, 2005
Shouldn’t matter. Can you tell us a little more about your system and what is running at the same time? That might help us get you going.

Cheers
DL
Donald_L._Cline
May 4, 2005
Well, I did one lately. In fact, I just recently loaded Elements 3 for the first time; ran into this problem, performed a "Repair" via Add/Remove programs and the original CD; encountered same problem, uninstalled entire program and reinstalled it; it worked two or three times and then did the same thing again. I just performed another file/catalog/recover and it worked properly once but I have little faith it will continue to do so. (I have to go to work; I’ll test it more thoroughly later in the day.) Thanks!
DL
Donald_L._Cline
May 4, 2005
The system is Windows XP; I’m running two 80-GB drives, and I have 1-BG memory. I’ll be back later today with the results of the catalog recovery. Thanks!
CW
Colin_Walls
May 4, 2005
Here is a similar case: Richard E. Anderson, "System Error Message" #5, 27 Jan 2005 10:49 am </cgi-bin/webx?13/4>
and this:
dave knadler, "Parameter is incorrect" #12, 29 Dec 2004 12:06 am </cgi-bin/webx?13/11>

It sounds like you should try deleting prefs:
Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<your login>\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements [replacing <your login> appropriately] and rename the folder "3.0" to "3.old".
DL
Donald_L._Cline
May 5, 2005
Well, I had previously — before reporting the problem — uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and I don’t remember having an opportunity to change my preferences — but I was surprised to find, when it came back up, that all my pictures were there with the tags previously established, etc., so it appears my preferences were saved. At that time it worked okay for two or three tries of highlighting an image and then clicking on edit, but then it started doing the same thing again. Then Colin suggested File/Catalog/Recovery, and since I did that, it has been working fine. No guarantees, since it worked and then failed before, but for now I have no complaints. THANKS, everyone! I do appreciate it.
CW
Colin_Walls
May 5, 2005
Just to clarify:
The tags etc are stored in the catalog [My Catalog.PSA by default]. This is quite separate from preferences. Neither this catalog nor prefs are affected by an uninstall/reinstall.
DL
Donald_L._Cline
May 5, 2005
Ah. Thank you. Anyway, I’ll keep working with it and if I have any more problems, I’ll be back. Thanks!
JJ
Jim_J
May 5, 2005
The other thing to keep in mind is that your preferences remain intact if you don’t delete the Adobe Folders (obviously don’t delete the catalogue)… so if you copy the catalogue to a "safe" place such as the desktop temporarily and then bring it back after reinstalling, this may help.

Cheers

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections