EL
Posted By
Else Lulsdorf
May 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Mac OS X.3.9 and I am new to Photoshop. I have gone through demonstrations on-line and followed the instructions but when I want to use them on a picture I do not find items on the drop down window, i.e. "select o r deselect". I selected the tool and circled around a spot to remove, but nowhere can I find to to apply this so it will vanish. I have my Photoshop for months and not been using it because I find it so complicated. Can you advise how I should handle this problem ? I have Photoshop Elements 2
Thank you in advance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
Jim_J
May 3, 2005
Else,

Is this like a "dust and scratches" issue?

Cheers
R
Roy
May 3, 2005
"Else Lulsdorf" wrote in message
I am using Mac OS X.3.9 and I am new to Photoshop. I have gone through demonstrations on-line and followed the instructions but when I want to use them on a picture I do not find items on the drop down window, i.e. "select o r deselect". I selected the tool and circled around a spot to remove, but nowhere can I find to to apply this so it will vanish. I have my Photoshop for months and not been using it because I find it so complicated. Can you advise how I should handle this problem ? I have Photoshop Elements 2 Thank you in advance.

Use the Tool Palette. (Tall & Narrow with pictures of Tools).

Click on the Tool you want and move your pointer over the picture, you will see a circle (for most tools). to apply the tool just click on the bit of the picture you want to change.

If you want to select a part of the picture, click on one of the Selection Tools (Rectangular Marquee or Circular Marquee). Put yuour pointer over one corner of where you want to select, hold down the mouse button and drag the pointer to where you want the selection to finish.

Look at the help files, they show you how to use and adjust each tool.

Roy G
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 3, 2005
Else …

Which on line demonstration have you looked at … ?

Wendy
EL
Else Lulsdorf
May 4, 2005
Wendy, I watched the one for Elements 2 where you are active to follow the narrators instruction.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 4, 2005
Could you post the link, please, Else? There are tons of those on the internet, so Wendy might never find the same one you were working on.
EL
Else Lulsdorf
May 5, 2005
Re the link for the demo I was using! I have been trying to find it and up comes the demo for Elements 3, so guess what, I downloaded the trail for 30 days, but it is the same problem. I select the background on the color chart as white, a little circle in the upper left corner, I clicked OK- and use the brush tool and up comes the area I am marking in blue instead of white. it’s very frustrating. no command key to remove the area. (I used the back error to leave the picture as it was before).
If anyone has an answer for me on this issue it would be greatly appreciated.
MS
Mark_Sand
May 6, 2005
Else,
To repeat Beth’s question, where exactly is the demo you are watching? Is it something that came with PSE2 or did you find it on the web?

As to your message #5, after you selected white with the Color Picker, did white actually show up in the Foreground Color box at the bottom of the toolbar? Also, make sure that Mode is set to Normal in the Paintbrush options bar. Other Mode values may give results other than the expected white.

Mark
GM
George_Mazzone
May 7, 2005
If I understand you correctly – you are trying to select an area of the picture and get rid of it? You use any one of the selection tools (for exam;ple the rectangular marquee or the lasso tool) then when you have made your selection – ou will have the "marching ants" anround your selection – anything you do will affect just that selection – so if you want it out of the picture just hit delete – then you should be left with whatever color your canvas is and that part of the picture will be gonzo.

If you are getting blue then you are probably using the paint brush instead of the selection tool.

Keep at it – this is a very powerful program and sooooo much fun as you start to learn it.
EL
Else Lulsdorf
May 8, 2005
Thank you Mark for your advise, I guess I have to learn how to select the color, I finally got the white, but I am not yet happy wit the results. It seems that Photshop Elements 3 is easier and here too Adobe has the demonstration on their web site. I am trying it out for the 30 days.
Again thanks for your help
EL
Else Lulsdorf
May 8, 2005
Thank you George, yes, you understood me correctly and I will try this, and as you explained, to just use the delete, I should be all set.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections