WE
Posted By
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I use this filter the image covers most of the preview screen and I can’t pull out the lighting circle far enough because I lose the "move" points off the preview screen.

Is there anyway you can zoom out … so that I can get hold of the adjustment points … help !!!

Wendy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 27, 2005
I haven’t found anything myself… 🙁

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 27, 2005
Ray,

I’m trying to follow a tut by Colin Smith and his image shows as a small part in the centre of the preview screen … mine shows as a large one covering most of the screen. Its driving me up the wall 🙁 🙁

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 27, 2005
Ray,

I have just worked something out … to get at the handles I grabbed the centre circle and moved it down … then I could get and the handle, move it out some more, and use the centre circle to put it back in place. Surely there must be a simpler way than this 🙂

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 27, 2005
Wendy,

Are you able to post a link here so that I can have a look ? I’m really curious because that filter has been bugging for a certain time.

Thanks,

Ray
TM
Tom Murray 1
Apr 27, 2005
This is not an answer to your question but;

I just discovered that if you drag the little light bulb over the preview screen, you can do the light effect more than once.
This will save me a lot of time.
I am probably the last one to know this.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 27, 2005
Ray …

Do you mean a link to the tut ? … if so will send you a pm on the other forum 🙂

Wendy
TF
Terri_Foster
Apr 27, 2005
Wendy,

Have you tried moving the center point off to a side so you can get to a handle? When handle is extended out more, move center point back to the desired position.

BTW, I really wish Render Lighting effects would zoom in and out or at least expand out to make for a bigger preview.
TF
Terri_Foster
Apr 27, 2005
Tom,

You can also add lights by Alt clicking on the original light (Option click Mac?) or use Control, Alt, Click (Command, Option Click Mac?). To delete bulbs, instead of dragging to trash can you can click on a bulb center then hit the delete key.

Terri
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Apr 27, 2005
Another tip for the use of this filter – to moderate the lighting effect:
1. Duplicate background layer
2. Create new layer
3. Edit>fill 50% gray. Blending mode:hard light
4. Filter>Render>Lens flare (e.g.)
5. Select eraser tool with soft edges, erase unnatural light Ken
TM
Tom Murray 1
Apr 27, 2005
Terri,
Option click seems to add to the light, but does not add another light the way dragging the bulb does?
TF
Terri_Foster
Apr 27, 2005
Tom,

Dragging the bulb from the bulb icon gives you a default bulb setting whereas Option clicking on a bulb duplicates the light on which you Option click. This can be a time saver if you are creating lights with other than default lighting settings.

Terri
TM
Tom Murray 1
Apr 27, 2005
I see.
I was not moving the light around after Option clicking. Thanks
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 27, 2005
wrote
Do you mean a link to the tut ? … if so will send you a pm on the other
forum 🙂

Is it a private tutorial?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 27, 2005
yes Byron, very very private 😉

I’m sure she’ll pst it if you ask nicely 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 27, 2005
Byron & Jodi,

Its one of the tuts on the NAPP subscribers area …. 🙂

I have been using the workaround of moving the centre point but it seems a very unsatisfactory solution.

Another suggestion is to increase the canvas size … but that doesn’t work on the tut I am doing 🙁

Wendy
A
AlC1
Apr 27, 2005
If you maximize the window containing the image and then zoom out a few times, you should end up with a small image surrounded by an empty gray fill. The original "off screen" adjustment handles should now be visible and accessible in the fill area.

Hope that helps
Al
R
RobertHJones
Apr 27, 2005
Did you know that the section detailing the lighting effects filter from Barbara Brundage’s new book is available on the web?

Take a look:

http://examples.oreilly.com/photoeletmm/lighting_effects.pdf

Bob
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 28, 2005
It’s that good 🙂

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 28, 2005
Al … Thanks but the problem is not with the image itself but with the preview pane in the Filter>Render dialogue box.

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 28, 2005
Bob,

Thanks for the link … what a good set of instructions 🙂

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 28, 2005
I’m not sure I understand exactly the problem. You can drag as far as you want. If you drag the circle out of the preview window, two little black squares appear at the upper right and lower left (this depends on the style, to some extent). By grabbing those, you can adjust the circle radius. The cursor is on one in this screenshot:

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pic=1Eo588zB16dGndI2U1mBaC txtqwel1>

Or did you mean something else?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 28, 2005
I maybe should have mentioned that doesn’t work with omni style lights because they affect the entire photo equally by default, and with directional lights you’ll see the square on the line instead of in the corner.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 28, 2005
Oh Barbara ….

You are a star 🙂 … I didn’t see those tiny little squares and none of the tutorials I have looked at even mention them. Guess I need new glasses … all this time I have been struggling.

Thank you so much 🙂

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 28, 2005
Hi, Wendy. Yeah, it took me a long time to figure that out, too. Glad that’s all it was.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 28, 2005
Barbara …

I asked the same question on the NAPP forum … and no one there gave me the answer 🙂

Guess you are just one in a million …!!

Wendy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections