Arabic letters not joining in Photoshop – PLEASE HELP!

FM
Posted By
frame.muller
Apr 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok, as far as i know Arabic letters should always be joined and for the site i’m working on, the letters definitely need to be joining. My Arabic HTML text is displaying the joint letters perfectly, but when I copy my Arabic text into Photoshop the Arabic letters are seperated.

I am copying the Arabic text from a spreadsheet of Arabic words my company got translated – the characters in the spreadsheet are also not joined.

I’m not sure if a special Arabic font is needed in order for photoshop to display these characters as joined or if i need Photoshop ME, but my normal version of photoshop seems to display the arabic characters fine. (JUST NOT JOINING THEM)

So just to recap my query is:
– Can photoshop display joined Arabic characters and if so how? – Is an external (purchased) font needed for this?
– Is the only way around this using Photoshop ME

Thanks guys, any help here would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
JJS
Apr 6, 2004
"Frame" wrote in message
Ok, as far as i know Arabic letters should always be joined and for the site i’m working on, the letters definitely need to be joining. My Arabic HTML text is displaying the joint letters perfectly, but when I copy my Arabic text into Photoshop the Arabic letters are seperated.

Presuming the characters are, in fact, font pieces then open the Character window (Window->Character) and then select all the text. Now in the Character window take the "AV" window (right, third down) and give it a value of -100. Are the characters now joined? You can alter text one character at a time (while typing the character is the way) using the "A/V" value.
T
tom187
Apr 6, 2004
(Frame) wrote:

I am copying the Arabic text from a spreadsheet of Arabic words my company got translated – the characters in the spreadsheet are also not joined.

— snip —

You don’t mention your version of Photoshop. I’ve never heard of Photoshop "ME."

If Photoshop is accepting the pasted characters as individual font characters (I can’t test this since I don’t have your spreadsheet, but I tried some Arabic characters from the Character Map) then you can adjust the kerning from the Character Palette. This will allow you to remove most of the extra space. Then, if individual adjustments need to be made, place the text cursor between the letters you wish to adjust and use ALT+(Right or Left Arrow Key) to manually kern the charcters on either side of the cursor.
——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
T
tom187
Apr 6, 2004
"jjs" wrote:

"Frame" wrote in message

Presuming the characters are, in fact, font pieces then open the Character window (Window->Character) and then select all the text. Now in the Character window take the "AV" window (right, third down) and give it a value of -100. Are the characters now joined? You can alter text one character at a time (while typing the character is the way) using the "A/V" value.

Yeah, what John said. (geez he types fast).
——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
MA
mohamed_al_dabbagh
Apr 11, 2004
Hi!

Photoshop ME (or Photoshop Middle East) is definitely the solution but it needs Arabic Windows. Photoshop ME is equipped with Arabization package that can deal with Unicode Arabic characters. However, there is a solution to get around that by using non-arabic systems by using Arabic glyphs in an English font, instead of using English glyphs. So if you are badly in need of composing some few words I may help and send it to you joined outlined vector form.

Mohamed Al-Dabbagh
Senior Graphic Designer
G
guru431
May 1, 2004
I don’t know that but I happened to find a great tutorial cd that will help you in this matter. http://www.siliconlogics.com/photoshop.htm

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections