AMD multiprocessor Photoshop hangs, report your experience!

H
Posted By
Ho
Aug 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It’s not CS2, nor is it AMD.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bob Levine
Aug 3, 2007
It’s not CS2, nor is it AMD.

Seconded. I wish I had a dollar for every assumption people make about why a freeze or crash occurs.

Bob
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 3, 2007
We would be rich, man, I say RICH!!:-)

Statistics support that.
CC
Christopher_Carvalho
Aug 3, 2007
Since the test doesn’t fail on CS3, it is CS2 related. Whether or not it’s AMD is uncertain. I’ve been researching this for a while and most of the people reporting these issues were on AMD platforms. I’ve got nothing against AMD and love my system, except when it’s running CS2! When I watch the CPU utilization in Task Manager, in CS3 it is much more even across all four processors. That wasn’t the case in CS2. Internally, CS3 is a lot better at spreading the work around than CS2 was. I do wish I hadn’t spent money for a defective product given that I now have to upgrade to solve the problem.

So far, the only thing from the limited number of responses is two processors on the person’s system who got the test to work, and four processors in my situation. So it could be related to having a certain number of cores on the system and exceeding some limitation that doesn’t show itself otherwise. Since Intel hasn’t had dual-core until recently, it may show up on the newer Intel systems if somebody has one with four cores and CS2.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 3, 2007
but… cs2 is dead.
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 3, 2007
Unless you need to print …
….or use ImageReady!
H
Ho
Aug 3, 2007
but… cs2 is dead.

Not so much. I have no plans to upgrade.

Christopher, I use my AMD system with CS2 to earn a portion of my living. Since I deal with deadlines (as in I always seem to be pushed up against one), the last thing I can afford is a computer that crashes, locks up, or exhibits other sorts of rude behavior when time is of the essence.

If CS3 works for you, that’s great. But there is something specific to your system or installation that is borking CS2.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 3, 2007
I meant dead from a development point of view, but of course you’re both right. carry on! πŸ™‚
CC
Christopher_Carvalho
Aug 4, 2007
I don’t think it’s my install, as I’ve installed the product three times, reformatted the drive, and reinstalled Windows XP. Check out the thread at <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc483ab/7>

and you’ll see that others report similar behavior. I’ve got the same motherboard (Tyan K8WE) as the person on this thread who’s seeing the same issues. That leads me to suspect a hardware incompatibility that got fixed in CS3, but never made it into CS2.

I too use Photoshop for a living, and until CS3 printing is fixed I’m going to need to edit in CS3, and then print the final image in CS2.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 4, 2007
We may have a computer version of Plato’s Cave here….
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 4, 2007
I don’t suppose you considered the possibility of a bad motherboard? Been known to happen.

Bob
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 4, 2007
Bad logic in more ways than one!
FD
frank_darrington
Aug 5, 2007
Dell E521
AMD 64 Athalon X2 5000+
2.61 GHz, 2.00 GB RAM

XP Pro
PS CS

Experiencing ‘not enough ram’ on most filters, even small files. Experiencing slow ops with brushes.

Seems to have a hard time writing to disc / virtual ram. Very slow or it is writing a whole lot more than it needs to. When the system hangs, I notice the HD light is working hard. Something is happening. Not like the machine goes to sleep.

However! NOTE THIS!
My good old PS7 works fine.
And my CS used to work on my old computer. Have the speed, half the ram. Half hard drive and lot less space for virtual ram. It was almost 3 years old.

It sure appears that CS does not play well with an AMD 64. Is there a way to make the AMD only run in 32 when runnin Shop? Maybe it is a 64 problem?

Very frustrating. I like some features of CS but I find that I must launch PS7 to get some things done. What is my incentive to upgrade?
CC
Christopher_Carvalho
Aug 5, 2007
Bob,

I’ve had three motherboards in the system (all Tyan K8WE) and they all show the same behavior. The memory’s been thouroughly tested and is clean. I have all multiprocessor patches to XP and the latest AMD processor driver installed. None of these fixed the problem.

Until there’s more data, no one can prove the source(s) of the problem, except for possibly someone at Adobe who did the multiprocessor coding for CS3. But if that person came clean, the question would be how come the fix can’t be passed on to CS2 users?
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 5, 2007
I’ve had three motherboards in the system (all Tyan K8WE) and they all show the same behavior.

Ever heard of the Asus P3B?

Bob
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Aug 6, 2007
For what it;s worth, I run CS2 and CS3 on XPx64 using two dual core Opterons. I haven’t run into any issues. On a machine with 32 bit XP, sometimes CS3 misbehaves, but I suspect it’s the machine itself rather than anything to do with the OS.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Aug 18, 2007
Hi School Musical Shop 101 (a lot like shop class only with hot looking girls and dancing!)

Have Dual Core AMD FX 64 never had a problem with CS2 or CS3

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections