TM
Posted By
Terry_Morse
Aug 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Something has gotten corrupted in the last few days, so that when I open PS 7.01, I get the error message, "The last launch failed while communicating with one of your installed scanners or cameras. We recommend you re-install or update your device’s TWAIN drivers. Do you wish to try again?" Whether I reply "yes" or "no," PS opens. In the File:Import menu, my only choices are PDF image or "WIA Support," where formerly there was an "Acquire TWAIN image" option.

I’ve downloaded and installed the latest TWAIN driver for my scanner (an Epson Perfection 1660 Photo), and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, but it doesn’t fix the problem. My scanner works correctly with other programs (e.g., MS Word, MS Photoeditor, and Corel WordPerfect), so it ought to work with Photoshop.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem? I vaguely remember a problem with WIA interfering with TWAIN when I first got my current WinXP computer, but I don’t remember what I had to do to fix the problem?

[Note: Please _don’t_ suggest that I should buy the latest version of Photoshop, because I can’t afford to. Everything was working just fine until a few days ago, and I don’t think I made any changes to the system or installed any new software coincident with the problem appearing.]

Thanks,
Terry Morse

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
LenHewitt
Aug 1, 2007
Terry,

As you’ve already tried re-installing the scanner (which is the most common fix for this problem) I would try trashing the preference file as per the forum FAQs FAQ#2, followed by an uninstall/reinstall of Photoshop should that not help.
TM
Terry_Morse
Aug 1, 2007
Thank you for responding Len.

My previous problem occurred when I bought a new system with a Dell AIO combined scanner and printer. Recollecting that the Dell scanner was the problem, I uninstalled the printer/scanner, reinstalled Epson TWAIN, then reinstalled the Dell printer driver, but not the scanner driver. That appears to have solved the problem. It was never Photoshop’s fault.

Terry
L
LenHewitt
Aug 2, 2007
Good to hear you have it fixed, Terry

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections