I
Posted By
iwiw
Jul 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I used the lasso tool to mark an area. Now I want to fill it black. The edit drop down is greyed out and the lassoed are says it is locked. How do I unlock the masked area?

Ivan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 19, 2007
Are you sure you are on the Mask and not the Layer? Are any of the locks on the Layers Palette active?

What version are you using? What does the message say?
I
iwiw
Jul 19, 2007
Message: Could not complete your request because the target layer is hidden.

CS3
I
iwiw
Jul 19, 2007
The only lock is on the background layer.

I clicked on the mask. The mask has 2 solid borders areound it.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 19, 2007
Sounds to me like you are trying to do something to a Layer (Or the Mask on it) which has the visibility turned off.
CH
clifford_hager
Jul 20, 2007
Hmm… maybe not visibility but the object could be a sub-object which is locked with in an unlocked layer.

Check your layers pallette and expand all of the layers. Look for locked sub-layers and click on the little padlock to unlock it.

My apologies if you’ve tried that, just grasping at straws here
CH
clifford_hager
Jul 20, 2007
My apologies… my brain was in the Illustrator forum and my computer was in the Photosop forum. So that may not be a correct answer. However, your object still could be on a locked layer. Check for little padlocks anyway.
I
iwiw
Jul 20, 2007
Figured it out. Thanks for all the help.

Ivan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections