MS
Posted By
Michiel_Sioen
Jul 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Today, I tried to install Photoshop 7.0 on my laptop with vista home premium. When Photoshop was almost installed, the setup said he was ready but the setup screen didn’t went away. I closed the screen.
when I tried to open Photoshop then, the program starts normal but before you can do something there’s a report saying: ‘couldn’t execute your request because of missing or invalid personalisation-information’ (this is not perfect because I tried to translate it from dutch)
So, the program doesn’t start. After this, I tried to remove Photoshop from the laptop but he says there’s a log error and they can’t remove Photoshop.
I have consequently a program that doesn’t work and that I can’t remove. Is there a solution?

When I installed Photoshop I used another name than the name of the computer, maybe vista doesn’t accept this? Normally, you can do that, but I didn’t do something like that on vista. If that’s the problem, how can you change that name if the program doesn’t start normally?

thanks
Michiel

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 17, 2007
Not even the latest version of Photoshop officially supports Vista. Try running it in "emulate XP mode" if there is such a thing on Vista. I don’t know because, like many others, I’m not going down the Vista path until I have to. All I know is when XP first came out there was an "emulate Windows 98" mode.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 17, 2007
Ahem!

From the Photoshop CS3 web page on the Adobe site

* Intel® Pentium® 4, Intel Centrino®, Intel Xeon®, or Intel Core™ Duo (or compatible) processor
* Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (certified for 32-bit editions)
* 512MB of RAM
* 64MB of video RAM
* 1GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation) * 1,024×768 monitor resolution with 16-bit video card
* DVD-ROM drive
* QuickTime 7 software required for multimedia features
* Internet or phone connection required for product activation * Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos* and other services
SW
Steve_Ward
Jul 18, 2007
Right Click on the Photoshop executable, select ‘Compatibility’ and then ‘Run this program in Compatibility mode for:’, and select Windows XP2 SP2.

Another alternative is to run Photoshop 7 in a virtual machine. Microsoft VPC2007 is free and so is VMWare Virtual Server. The drawback, however, is you need a licensed copy of the guest OS (XP SP2), a fast CPU and copious amounts of ram to get reasonable performance.
MS
Michiel_Sioen
Jul 19, 2007
I tried to open Photoshop with XP2 SP2 selected and with windows 2000 selected but Photoshop keeps giving an error after initializing.
MS
Michiel_Sioen
Jul 19, 2007
I succeeded to delete Photoshop. We will inform to get Photoshop CS3 or to work with virtual PC. Thanks for the help
KE
K_E_Hoffman
Jul 28, 2007
Odds are if you didn’t disable the User Access Control when installing and running the first time it may not complete install because Vista with the UAC on may not allow older programs to write ot areas it now protects.

<http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm>

I do this for any software not written FOR vista as that almost always assume the user is running with fill admin rights.
TC
T_Curtis
Jul 29, 2007
I just purchased new laptop with Vista and am getting the same error with 7.0. I have also tried opening with "XP2 SP2" compatibility and with UAC disabled. Any other suggestions?
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 29, 2007
Upgrade to CS3. It’s the last chance you’ll get anyway since upgrade eligibility only goes back three versions now.

Bob
B
Barb
Aug 6, 2007
I guess I am fortunate. I got Photoshop 7.0 to work on my new Vista computer. I have two hardrives on my computer. I installed it on the second drive. I placed the icon on my desktop. It appears to work fine so far. It’s been about five days.
RP
Rick_Popham
Aug 8, 2007
I agree with Bob. If you don’t upgrade to CS3, you’ll have to pay the full nut for CS4.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 8, 2007
of course, if you wait until the cs4 announcement to purchase cs3 (if you were going to wait anyway), you’ll get cs3 then get a free upgrade to cs4.
PK
Patrick_Kramer
Aug 11, 2007
Hi – I’ve been attempting to install Photoshop 7.0 ont my Windows Vista Business machine and have bee experiencing the same problems mentioned above.

I couldn’t uninstall the app, even though it never finished installing properly. I had to completely delete the Adobe folder from my Program Files folder, reboot, and then after three tries with the same results, I tried one last time before I gave up and success!!

On the last try I right clicked setup.exe and selected "Run as Administrator"… even though I’m logged in as Administrator. That seemed to do the trick for me. Good luck with the installation!
JJ
Jack_James
Aug 11, 2007
Didn’t do the trick for me…
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 11, 2007
PS 7 + Vista = unknown results.

There’s just no telling if it will work or not. What’s your time worth? Because at some point buy the upgrade to CS3 has to be more cost effective than not being able to use 7.0.

Bob
L
LenHewitt
Aug 17, 2007
with windows vista home basic<<

You need Premium. Basic isn’t supported.
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 17, 2007
Any doubts about that Michiel?
MR
Maria_R
Aug 20, 2007
I am having the exact same problem: Adobe Photoshop 7.0 on Windows Vista Home Premium mentioned in original post (Michiel Sioen). If someone knows the workaround could he/she please post it here.

Thanks very much.
MR
Maria_R
Aug 20, 2007
One more thing… I can’t uninstall it either… I get an error message. I’m afriad if I try to upgrade to a newer version of Photoshop, my registry will be corrupted. I’d have to have to reinstall the entire operating system over this. : (
I
ID._Awe
Aug 20, 2007
Ummmm, how about installing the V7 updater?
MR
Maria_R
Aug 20, 2007
That sounds wonderfully simple, but what is V7 Updater? Is it an Adobe product that makes 7.0 run on Vista?

Thanks for the help.
K
K._Sapp
Aug 29, 2007
I’m having the same problems mentioned above with Photoshop CS2. It uninstalls and installs just fine on my Windows Vista Premium, but the actual program will just open a document and then freeze. I’ve tried every idea on this page but nothing worked. Can I get something to adapt CS2 to Windows Vista?
MR
Maria_R
Aug 29, 2007
Here are some things I learned:
1. There is no such thing as "V7 updater". (That’s FYI for anyone reading this forum.)

2. I was not able to uninstall PS7 from my computer. However, I did a reinstall by putting in the CD and right clicking on the .exe file (to install Photoshop) and selecting from the menu, "install as admin." It went through the whole install process again.

For some reason, that worked like a charm and now I’m running Photoshop 7 on VISTA and have no problem opening and working on files. So you might want to try that on your CS2 installation. I would try uninstalling first and then following the instuctions I did and reinstall as Admin. If you can’t uninstall, just reinstall as Admin anyhow.

Good luck!
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 29, 2007
There is no such thing as "V7 updater". (That’s FYI for anyone reading this forum.)

I think the poster was referring to the version 7.0 update (to 7.01) which dealt with a couple of nasty bugs.

Anyone re-installing Photoshop 7.0 is advised to install that too!

< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1851>
JD
Jeff_Dickson
Sep 2, 2007
I had the same installation/uninstallation problems with 7.0.1 on Vista Premium, but succeeded in getting it to run by:
1)Control Panel> User Accounts> TURN OFF User Access Control
2)START menu> Photoshop -right click and choose Properties> Security> allow Everyone Full Control

when I did this, PS 7 started up and (so far) runs just fine. Hope this works for you
EW
Erika_Weinsteiger
Sep 6, 2007
I recently purchased a new computer that uses Windows Vista. I am using Photoshop CS (version 8), and it has been working fine for a few months. In the past 2 weeks, when I attempt to open Photoshop, the open window freezes on "Loading Global Text Resources". I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop, with the same result. Any ideas?
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 6, 2007
Read the FAQs. This is addressed there.

But on Vista all bets are off.

Let us know if it works.

Bob
MR
Maria_R
Sep 6, 2007
Hio Erika,
I think you can find more about that problem, or at least some suggestions here:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bb58a70?@@>

good luck
CM
Christy_M_Ochsner
Dec 4, 2007
How can you upgrade to CS3 if you cannot even install Photoshop 7.0 properly on Vista??
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 4, 2007
You don’t need to install 7.0 to install the upgrade.

Bob
CM
Christy_M_Ochsner
Dec 4, 2007
So as long as I have the serial number for Photoshop 7.0 I will be able to install the upgrade, CS3?
CM
Christy_M_Ochsner
Dec 4, 2007
Sorry for all of the questions, but what if I never registered my serial number? Will this cause problems when I try to upgrade?
Thanks!
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 4, 2007
cs3 will ask for either the serial # or for you to insert valid media (the vers. 7 disk). either will work.

what if I never registered my serial number

as long as it’s not a pirated # (there were some problems with legit copies of 7 being marked pirate, iirc) then you should be ok.

the question is, why would you NOT register a 600+ dollar product?!! if you ever lose the disk or the # you’re screwed! if you register, adobe keeps a record of it and can call you up from their database if you lose the # or disk.

hth, dave
K
kangaroo94
Dec 7, 2007
Guys, so how can I remove this Photoshop 7.0 from my pc? I don`t want to upgrade, I don`t want do anything else but just get rid of it, please…
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 7, 2007
kangaroo, use add/remove programs in the control panel.
K
kangaroo94
Dec 7, 2007
I tried each of the advices you gave here – nothing works…

Like Michiel Sioen wrote:
"…So, the program doesn’t start. After this, I tried to remove Photoshop from the laptop but he says there’s a log error and they can’t remove Photoshop."
I tried about twenty times (with rebooting and non-rebooting my pc) and it`s the same error – over and over again… 🙁
I`m desperate like a housewife now:)

PS: Thanx for such a fast respond, Dave!
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 7, 2007
no prob. the other options are reinstall ps7 over top of the last one THEN use add/remove programs. if THAT fails ,you’ll have to physically delete the files and maybe (not necessary, but desirable) clean out the registry manually with a registry cleaner. that SHOULDN’T be necessary, but then, this IS the windows forum! 😉
K
kangaroo94
Dec 7, 2007
hAllelujah, it works! Thanx a lot, Dave – God bless ya! 😉
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 8, 2007
no prob. glad to help!
GD
George_Dunkins
Mar 12, 2008
I have a back up of photoshop v7 that gives me an error message ‘invalid or missing personalization information’ when I attempt to install on my desktop computer. This computer uses Windows XP. Is there some one who can advise me in this issue? The program closes when I click ok in the error message. Please help.
HP
Heather_Poirier
Aug 4, 2008
I have an upgrade to Photoshop 7.0 disk which I used to upgrade from my old 5.0 version (or maybe it was 5.5.. can’t remember) I don’t have the 5.x version anymore but would be willing to upgrade to CS3. Since I don’t have the 5.x version anymore (I also seem to recall forgetting to register it), I can’t install v7.0 on my new computer first because of the missing 5.x disk. Can I just do it from the 7.0 upgrade disk? I can’t afford to buy the full version at this point. Hope I’m not confusing anyone. Thanks.
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 4, 2008
Just install CS3. You’ll be prompted to supply verification that you’re eligible. At that point you just swap out the disks.

Follow the on screen instructions.

Bob
HP
Heather_Poirier
Aug 4, 2008
Just out of curiosity, can I use my photoshop 7.0 Upgrade disk to upgrade from a previous academic version (even though I no longer qualify for academic?) In other words, if I try to install Version 7.0 from my upgrade disk and insert a previous version for verification (that IS academic vs regular) will it work or do I have to prove that I’m academic?

Thanks.
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 4, 2008
It should work, yes. The academic versions are identical the commercial versions.

Bob
HP
Heather_Poirier
Aug 4, 2008
OK, thanks Bob.
DD
Dan_Dye
Aug 18, 2008
I have Photoshop CS v.8.0 and just purchased Dreamweaver CS3. I plan to purchase a new Vista powered computer and use it just for web pages and images with the Photoshop CS. I am sure the Dreamweaver will load but will the photoshop CS load and work on the new machine with with Vista Home Premium? I do not want to spend the rest of my life trying to get Photoshop CS to work with Vista. I am using GoLive CS2 and Photoshop CS on an XP sp3 machine now with NO problems at all (except speed, which is not a problem just a nuisance). My question is: will the Photoshop CS v8 work with Vista Home Premium without my having to go through the change of life and pulling out what little hair I have left?
HH
hgfhgfhfg_hgfhgfhgf
Sep 3, 2008
have a windows vista home premium computer, and tried downloading photoshop 7 of the internet, i tried unzipping it afterwards, and it said file was not found. Any Help??
IN
I_Need_Help!!!
Sep 3, 2008
have a windows vista home premium computer, and tried downloading photoshop 7 off the internet, i tried unzipping it afterwards, and it said file was not found. Any Help??
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 3, 2008
tried downloading photoshop 7 off the internet, i tried unzipping it afterwards, and it said file was not found. Any Help??

<http://www.bsa.org>
NK
Nikon_Kid
Sep 28, 2008
I also downloaded Adobe photoshop 7.0 free copy off the internet zip file, so double clicked the file, and Windows cannot open file says its invalid.

I need to start doing work on my images etc where to now.

is there a vista Adobe photoshop in the shops yet ?
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 28, 2008
There are no free copies of Photoshop 7.

Photoshop CS3 is certified and supported under Vista. If you buy it now you’ll be entitled to a free upgrade to CS4 when it ships.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 28, 2008
click the link above and ask your question there. they’ll help you for sure.
B
Buko
Sep 28, 2008
Wasn’t PS 7 the last version not to have to be activated on Windows?
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 28, 2008
Depends on where. Adobe added it to Photoshop 7 in the Australia to test it out.

Bob
B
Buko
Sep 28, 2008
Interesting. I see so many PS7s that I thought it was the pirates best friend. I’m still getting PS7 SPAM from the pirates.
NK
Nikon_Kid
Sep 29, 2008
I think I got my knickers in a twist, i did download a zip copy

thought it was free ???? but now deleted it and bought a PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 6 off ebay for £39 will i be able to upgrade to 7 when its avaible
O
OldBob
Sep 29, 2008
Hoo boy.

. . . and bought a PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 6 off ebay . . .

You might want to look at this before it’s too late to get your money back.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c062174/71>
B
BamBam-3
Oct 2, 2008
Thinking about buying photoshop 7. I’ve seen some complaints about compatibility with vista home. Should I be concerned or are the problems taken care of
B
Buko
Oct 2, 2008
You can’t buy Photoshop 7 it has been discontinued since 2003.
CC
Charlie_Choc
Oct 2, 2008
compatibility with vista home.

Don’t know about Photoshop 7 (any copy you get will likely be ‘used’ and you won’t get any support) but the current version of Photoshop requires at least Vista Home Premium.

Charlie…
http://www.chocphoto.com
MS
maureen_shea
Oct 22, 2008
I too am trying to install PS7 on my laptop with Vista Home Premium. When I insert the disk, nothing happens. What do I do now?

Really, all I want is the Adobe Gamma, not so much PS. Is there a way to install just Gamma? Or is there a free colour calibrator anywhere??? Thanks!
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 23, 2008
This may help.

<http://quickgamma.de/indexen.html>

I never tried it myself but it sounds OK.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 23, 2008
I used quickgamma. it’s ok.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections