SM
Posted By
Scott_Mullen
Jul 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have loaded a new font which is in the fonts directory and can be accessed in other programs such as MS Word. However, when I open a PSD file within Photoshop CS2 that uses the font in question, I get an error message telling me "Some text layers contain fonts that are missing. These layers will need to have the missing fonts replaced before they can be used for vector based output".

Is there something I need to change in the Photoshop settings to make it recognise the font? (The font in question is Swiss721 BT Heavy)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DR
Deke_Ryland
Jul 16, 2007
I’m having the same exact issue only with the new CS3 version. I had all my fonts installed properly within Photoshop (just put them in the windows fonts folder and you are good to go).. but now that I updated to CS3.. all my fonts are pretty much gone.. for no reason! Anyone know what’s up?
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 16, 2007
just put them in the windows fonts folder and you are good to go

Sorry Deke. That is not the correct way to install fonts. You need to use the font installation tools to correctly add fonts. When this happens, a file is created that lists the fonts. Just dumping them into the folder misses that step, and while other apps may just read the folder, PS is more picky and that is why you have no fonts.

Dump the ones you added this way out of the folder into a normal folder, then use the New>Font (I think) option on the font folder to install them correctly from the folder you have moved them to.

Scott: You problem is trickier. I would have said you had a bad font, but BT (Bitstream) fonts can usually be relied upon. Perhaps you should remove the font, and reinstall it, as mentioned above.
SM
Scott_Mullen
Jul 16, 2007
Thanks Don,

I removed the fonts from the fonts directory and reinstalled them by going to Control Panel (Classic View)>Fonts>File>Install New Font but still no luck.

It has them listed as a type 1 font file and there were 2 different files for each font… a .pfm file and a .PFB file

When I open the PSD file in PS I am still getting the same problem.

Any other suggestions?
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jul 17, 2007
Get Font Explorer X from Linotype…it’s free and a great way to keep your fonts organized, check for corrupted fonts, etc.

And it’s now for Windows!

I just removed ATM…may it rest in peace!

www.linotype.com
TG
Tom Glowka
Jul 17, 2007
Linotype warns that this software is a beta version. I wouldn’t bet my workload on it just yet.
AR
Aodhan_Richardson
Jul 17, 2007
I’m having a new problem. I have Photoshop CS2 at work where I run Windows XP and at home where I run Vista Home Premium. Recently I have been having fonts printing with jagged/fuzzy edges. This happens on both computers, and I’m out of solutions how to fix it. I always select "Crisp" or "Sharp" fonts, but nothing works. Help…
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 17, 2007
File type?

File resolution?

Text size?

Printer?
AR
Aodhan_Richardson
Jul 17, 2007
File Type: JPEG, BMP, TIF, GIF – all jagged/fuzzy regardless of file type

File resolution: 72 or 300 or 500 – all jagged/fuzzy regardless of resolution

Text Size 10 – 144 – all jagged/fuzzy regardless of size

Printer: HP Laser Jet and Cannon Ink Jet – all jagged/fuzzy regardless of printer choice

In otherwords, it makes no difference what file type, what resolution, what text size, what type of printer. It also looks fuzzy on the screen as well, regardless of settings.

I didn’t used to have this problem with Photoshop. Suddenly, about 3-4 weeks ago it started. I’m not aware of any system change. It’s as though Photoshop reconfigured its own settings to "Screwed Up Text." The odd thing is that it’s happening at home and at work. I don’t have this problem with Illustrator, FrameMaker, MS Office, or any other software – just Photoshop. Thank you
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 17, 2007
Sometimes opening some files can screw up the text tool. Try resetting it from the fly-out menu in the Character Palette.

If that doesn’t make any difference reset the Photoshop preferences in accordance with the FAQs <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.ef4a07f/1>.
SM
Scott_Mullen
Jul 17, 2007
Getting back to my original problem… does anyone have any idea why the particular font in question isn’t recognised? Or how to fix the problem?
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 18, 2007
Type the following into Windows Explorer search on your system drive:

adobefnt*.LST

Delete all instances found, the file will be rebuilt.
SM
Scott_Mullen
Jul 18, 2007
Still no luck.

Found 12 instances, deleted them all, rebooted the computer and still the same problem.

Any more suggestions?
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 18, 2007
Any chance that this is a case where the font list is sorting oddly for you? Swiss 721 is a clone of Helvetica … check the H on your list to see if it is there.
SM
Scott_Mullen
Jul 18, 2007
Nope… Helvetica is not there either

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections