BG
Posted By
ben_Gentry
Jul 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I noticed that cs2 automatically names any text layer I create the same as the text I used. For instance, if I create a text layer with the word "smith", cs2 automatically names the layer "smith". This has become a big hinderance as I’m trying to automate selecting a layer within an action. I need for the text layer I create to have a constant name (like layer1, layer2, etc) so that the action will not become confused when it tries to select a layer that isn’t there.

What’s weird is that when I’m actually typing the text, photoshop DOES show the title of the layer as "Layer1", but as soon as I select the text or choose another layer, photoshop changes the name of the layer to whatever text I had entered.

Is there a way I can get photoshop to stop automatically naming the text layers like this and just name them Layer1, Layer2, etc?

If not, maybe there is another solution. I noticed that if I delete the only text in a a text layer, photoshop automatically deletes the entire layer. Is there a way around this? Is there such a thing as an "empty" layer with photoshop? If there were a way that I could put my text into an empty layer (that has been named "layer1"), save that file, and then revert the file, add more text to the empty layer, and then save again, etc, etc, all the while keeping the name of that text layer a constant?

Anyway, would love to hear from anyone who knows if there’s a way on this.

peace

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 14, 2007
Just rename the layer after it has been created!
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 14, 2007
In case you don’t know how, double-click on the name.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 14, 2007
That’s how text layers have always worked.

One solution in an action would be to have a layer below or above selected and use the bracket key shortcuts to move the focus to the text layer; one up or one down.

For instance, Alt-] moves it up one; Shift-Alt-] moves to the top of the stack.

That way no renaming required.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections