anyway at ALL to get my print size image the same as my actual pixels?

NO
Posted By
nick_o
Jul 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi, i did several designs that i wish to have printed onto t-shirts recently, however i had little knowledge about DPI and resolution. now, the actual pixel size on my monitor (at 100%) is quite large, in fact much larger than the size i wish to have it printed. however, when i go to ‘view > print size’ , the image is horribly small. is there any way (any way AT ALL, including other programs specializing in doing what i may need done) to get my print size to be the same as my actual pixels without losing (much) image quality?

in other words, if you were in my shoes (starting over is simply not an option), what would you do? thank you!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Bernie
Jul 13, 2007
Explore the image size dialog box
NO
nick_o
Jul 13, 2007
Yep, and if I up the dpi to say, 300, the image size decreases.
B
Bernie
Jul 13, 2007
Of course it does (if you don’t resample)

Have you tried reading under the appropriate topics
(view, image size and resolution) in the help file?
NO
nick_o
Jul 13, 2007
Exactly. I’m simply asking how to upscale the DPI without shrinking the image. Like I originally asked, getting the actual pixels to be the same as the print size. I don’t understand how it can be such an impossible feat. And bare with me, I have little experience with DPI and resoultion so I appreciate your patience.

Perhaps if I converted the bitmap to a vector file in Flash?
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Jul 13, 2007
Turn on Resampling in the Image Size dialog.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 13, 2007
Yep, and if I up the dpi to say, 300, the image size decreases

As others have advised: turn on "Resample" in the Image>Size dialogue. However – you can get away with a lot less than 300ppi when printing onto tee shirts.

Experiment. But keep your originals at the size they are and save out new versions at different sizes. Never resize an image which has already been resized.
B
Bernie
Jul 13, 2007
And talk to the silkscreener who will produce the job.
RN
Robert_Nichols
Jul 14, 2007
Nick –

If you want the Print Size in Photoshop (as measured on your computer screen) to be the exact same size as your actual print, you can do the following:

Determine the width in pixels of your computer screen (Display Properties/Settings) and divide that figure by the width of the screen, e.g., for my 19 inch monitor at 1280×1024 resolution, 1280 divided by 14.8125 (14 13/16) inches to arrive at 86.4 pixels per inch. Now enter that figure in the Photoshop Preferences, in the Screen Resolution box under Units & Rulers . Now, when you size a print to 8×10 inches, it will measure 8×10 inches on your monitor screen when you select Print Size.

Bob N.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections