Before uninstalling CS1, CS2 – what do i lose?

HM
Posted By
Henrik_Meier
Jul 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello. What’s your idea about installing Photoshop CS3. Should i *uninstall* CS2 and CS1 only *after* installing CS3?
Example: I install PS CS3 and *then* uninstall CS2 and CS1. If in that order, will CS3 import my – preferences
– actions
– personal workspaces?
Or is it mandatory to save your personal actions as a file in CS2 to get them into CS3? I appreciate all advice (and/or links) on how to move smoothly from CS1 or CS2 to CS3. Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 8, 2007
you’ll lose anything you created after the installation of those programs if you don’t save them out first (like you said, actions, swatches, patterns, brushes, styles, etc). they can all be saved from their respective palettes’ flyout menus. cs3 won’t import any of those things automatically, you have to load everything by hand.

you’ll also lose adobe gamma as that’s not included in cs3, and you’ll lose image ready as that’s not included. personally i’m keeping cs2 installed alongside cs3 ee.
HM
Henrik_Meier
Jul 8, 2007
Hi Dave,

that’s clear advice, thanks!
BL
Bill_Lamp
Jul 9, 2007
You will lose the ability to easily print your pictures too.

That is from reading a long lived thread that isn’t getting any quieter.
DC
David_Calvert
Jul 9, 2007
If you remove CS1 & 2 you could have problems printing with CS3. I still have to use CS2 to print as I can’t get CS3 to print properly.
HM
Henrik_Meier
Jul 9, 2007
Hi Bill and David, thanks for the hints.

Could you give me any hint what’s behind the printing problem? Does it mean, if i have CS2 installed i can fully print from CS3 as well?
If there is no CS2 when i install CS3 – will i have printing problems and can they be resolved by installing CS2 *after* CS3 (still wanting to print from CS3).
(Right now i have CS2 and CS3 installed. I never noticed a printing problem, but that fits in with your description.)
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 9, 2007
Could you give me any hint what’s behind the printing problem?

See <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc3c894/152>
T
TLL
Jul 9, 2007
DO NOT remove CS2! I never had CS, but the printing issues with CS3 are quirky enough to keep CS2 around just for printing. I can print out fine to only about half of the numerous printers I use at work and home with CS3 – and every time I do the new print interface drives me crazy.

Especially if are working in a networked environment, with networked printers, with more than one printing device, leave CS2 on your machine.

Also as mentioned above, all your actions, and other personalized settings stored on either of the older versions of PS do not transfer automatically. You will need to move them yourself.

Good Luck!
TLL
HM
Henrik_Meier
Jul 9, 2007
TTL, thanks! But: Does it mean you cannot orderly print from CS3 at all and open CS2 instead? Or does it mean you need to have CS2 installed AND THEN can print from CS3 also?
Thanks again!
T
TLL
Jul 9, 2007
You could be one of many who can print out of CS3 just fine and then you don’t need to worry about anything I’ve said. Try printing with CS3, you may be OK with it. Some of us have had problems like:

You have problems with a particular printer (especially one that ‘worked fine’ in CS2) and there are no new software updates from the printer manufacturer for CS3.

and/or

You find that the new print dialog requiring, among other things, an OS selected default printer to be used in CS3 doesn’t fit in your production routine (like running multiple apps. other than CS3, switching between them and printing to networked devices)

then

you can do your work in CS3 (a terrific upgrade in almost every respect), then switch back to CS2 to do your printing.

I Hope I haven’t scared you off from using CS3, this is just one good reason to keep at least one previous working version of PS on your system until everyone gets the kinks worked out…

TLL

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections