PM
Posted By
Peter Mansell
Sep 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been sent a large number of files with descriptive file names. I would like to rename these files with a filename of "Prefix + sequential serial number + extension" instead.
I can do this easily with the file naming section in a batch command, but I can’t work out how to reset the serial number to a specific number when doing a series of batches (that is, I don’t want to start the sequence at 001). Any suggestions?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 3, 2003
If all you’re doing is renaming them (v. saving as a different file format) and you have version 7, it’s just as easy to do in the file browser. Whichever the case, use this:

#006# will create a three digit number begining with 6. Just put that in the rename box in which you want it to appear and you’re done.

So.. "Document Name" + #0100# + "extension" will start at 100 and use 4 digits.

Peace,
Tony
PM
Peter Mansell
Sep 3, 2003
Thanks Tony, that sounds very simple. Of course I forgot to mention that I am using v6! in which the #00x# strategy doesn’t seem to work.

The work around method that I have considered is to process the files in batches of 1000 using the 3 digit serial number option after an alphanumeric prefix… the first batch would be renamed
"RVU0" + "3 digit serial number" + "extension" and the next 1000 would be renamed
"RVU1" + "3 digit serial number" + "extension" and so on.
I had hoped there would be a more elegant solution (or maybe I could just buy v7?!) Regards
Peter
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 3, 2003
Peter,

In truth, I never tried it in v6, so I can’t say. But if you’re considering v7, wait; rumor has it v8 is to be released soon. My guess (and it’s only a guess, is that we will see 8 by October.

In any event, I don’t think there’s a more elegant solution if the #NNN# strategy doesn’t work in 6. Sorry.

Peace,
Tony

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections