JL
Posted By
Jennifer_Lonier
Jun 27, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Photoshop CS2. What I am doing is taking an image, making it seamless, and then resizing it using image->image size. I enter the size, select constrain proportions, and use bicubic sharper and click ok. When it’s done all of the edges have been "blurred" or "feathered" (I’m not sure what it’s actually doing or why so I don’t know what term to use) 1 or 2 pixels. Which creates seams when I go to tile the image.

I recently upgraded from elements which I used for years without this issue. Thinking maybe I accidently changed a setting I reset photoshop (using shift ctrl alt I think), but the problem is still there.

Does anyone know why this is happening and where I can change it? Any assistance would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 27, 2007
Not sure what you mean by "making it seamless". However, after tiling are you viewing at 100%? Any other screen magnificatiuon is likely to show the edges in a tiled montage.
JL
Jennifer_Lonier
Jun 27, 2007
Making an image seamless (just one way) by filter->other->offset so it can be tiled across an area without seams. In my case a 512×512 area. However, with the resizing blurring or feathering the edges my image is no longer seamless after resizing.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Jun 27, 2007
This has been an issue with Photoshop since at least version 5.0.

Try this: before resizing, Flatten the image. The Background layer seems to be immune from this problem.

YOu can demonstrate this as follows: Make a new document 1024×1024 pixels, and fill the background layer with black.

Duplicate the Background layer.

Image Size to 50%

Offset 256 pixels in both directions, on both layers.

Now, look at both layers in isolation (hiding the other layer). You can see the edges of the duplicate layer (which are now in the middle) were feathered, but not in the Background layer.
JL
Jennifer_Lonier
Jun 27, 2007
Thank you so much! I thought I was losing it because no one seemed to know what I was talking about.
BD
Brett Dalton
Jul 1, 2007
It’s happening because the edges on the forground layers are having transparent areas around them used when calculating the colours for the edge pixles during the resize. As John said this doesn’t seem to happen on the background layer (presumably because it is the size of the image and the software knows this).

Same effect will occur when using blurs and smudge tool in some cases too, you end up mixing existing pixels with transparent ones at the boundaries.

BRETT

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections