PD
Posted By
Penny_Deutz
Jun 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am reading a book about LAB color, and learning to use that colorspace. One of the things the author recommends is to change the direction of the dark-to-light gradient that shows at the side and bottom of the Curves grid in the dialog box. Photoshop standard is light on the right/top. The author suggests switching it so that light is on the left/bottom. In PS7, there’s a little icon on the gradient that swaps the direction, but the icon is not available in CS3. Clicking on the gradient (which is what the author states) does not do anything. Is this customization still available, and if so, how to I set it?

Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SS
Sy_Sez
Jun 26, 2007
Just left-click on either the "dark", or light bar, and they will switch places.

Leigh
PF
Peter_Figen
Jun 26, 2007
As good as Dan’s book is, this is one area where I part company. I MUCH prefer having the shadows represented by the lower left hand corner of the dialog box. It just seems more intuitive. There is no effective difference in the Curves action. Use whatever configuration you’re most comfortable with. You can still set your Info Palette to read whatever numbers you want – usually set to Actual Color.
PD
Penny_Deutz
Jun 27, 2007
Thank you for your responses! Peter, I agree that it makes no difference (Dan says so himself, too) but I thought that if I was going to make the effort, I may as well go all the way! I’m about 1/2 way through the book, so far, and I must admit that I’m VERY impressed with the result on the few pictures I’ve tested in LAB. I just wish I could get my brain around the concept of positive & negative numbers and magenta/green and yellow/blue… Time will tell!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections