How to use an ICC profile from a lab in CS3? (Adorama)

L
Posted By
louise
Jun 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using Win XP Pro and CS3

I have my monitor calibrated using Spyder 2 Pro and this monitor profile shows up as the active profile on my video card settings.

I would like Adorama to print some of my larger prints but when I upload them, the colors are a little off. Adorama provides ICC profiles (I believe they are printer profiles, for glossy, lustre and matte).

So, if I want to take a photo and adapt it to Adorama’s ICC and then upload it to them, how would I go about it?
Adorama says I should not "convert" my picture to their profile and that I should not "embed" their profile in my picture. But the person I’m talking to is not conversant in CS3 and additionally, there is a language barrier.

Adorama says look at my picture on the screen using their ICC and adjust it accordingly and then upload. But when I try to do this, their ICC seems to be embedded. This is ok with me but they say it isn’t right and I’m very confused.

Where should I put Adorama’s ICC profile so that I can
adjust my picture to look the way I want it to look when they print it?

Should I "assign" a profile – should I "convert" –

Any and all suggestions appreciated. I spoke with Adobe tech support and they weren’t clear as to what I should do either!

Thanks.

Louise

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jun 21, 2007
"louise" wrote in message
Using Win XP Pro and CS3

I have my monitor calibrated using Spyder 2 Pro and this monitor profile shows up as the active profile on my video card settings.
I would like Adorama to print some of my larger prints but when I upload them, the colors are a little off. Adorama provides ICC profiles (I believe they are printer profiles, for glossy, lustre and matte).
So, if I want to take a photo and adapt it to Adorama’s ICC and then upload it to them, how would I go about it? Adorama says I should not "convert" my picture to their profile and that I should not "embed" their profile in my picture. But the person I’m talking to is not conversant in CS3 and additionally, there is a language barrier.

Adorama says look at my picture on the screen using their ICC and adjust it accordingly and then upload. But when I try to do this, their ICC seems to be embedded. This is ok with me but they say it isn’t right and I’m very confused.

Where should I put Adorama’s ICC profile so that I can adjust my picture to look the way I want it to look when they print it?

Should I "assign" a profile – should I "convert" –
Any and all suggestions appreciated. I spoke with Adobe tech support and they weren’t clear as to what I should do either!

Thanks.
Louise
What do you mean by "The colours are a little off"? How do you know this? From the web site or from a print?
If the web site, then this is probably due to the fact a web browser isn’t colour managed in the same way that PS is.
If you have a correctly calibrated monitor and you have your working space profile set to sRGB then any half decent lab should be able to match what you see on screen to what you see in print. (within the limits of light reflectance (print) and light transmission (monitor))
Think about it, the only way you could "see" you print the way the lab wants you to would be to use their profile as your monitors profile, not a good way of working I think.
I would put this question past the real experts in the Adobeforum, this ng sees their posts but they do not see the ng’s. To register with the forum, go to
http://www.Adobeforums.com, scroll down to the windows photoshop forum, register, (free)and post away.

TWK

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections