"Save as" dialogue box pops up briefly, then disappears in CS3 – Help!

KB
Posted By
Kami_Brady
Jun 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m running CS3 Extended upgrade on Windows XP (updated with SP2)on a brand spankin’ new Intel Duo Core processor with 2Gs RAM and a 400G hard drive. Yesterday all was working fine. Then last night, I went to open previously-edited images for some refinements and tried to "Save As …" and the dialogue box pops up very quickly and disappears just as quick. All other top-level menu items are greyed out and when I control-alt-delete, it says "could not close the application as it’s waiting on a response from you …" suggesting that the dialogue box is still out there somewhere waiting for me to click it but it’s not. It does this with any image I open.

I don’t have POP-Ups disabled or any type of pop up blocker and haven’t done anything different (except download a free FTP application) since CS3 was working fine yesterday morning. Could the little FTP app really cause this type of an issue inside CS3 "Save as …?"

Anyone else experienced this? Should I just reinstall CS3 and if so, will it look like another activation if it’s on the same machine? And do I have to uninstall it first to reinstall or will reinstall just write over it?

Thanks in advance for any ideas —

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Jun 21, 2007
reset the preferences per the faq.
TB
Terry_Babij
Jun 28, 2007
Been There Done That Got the T-Shirt!!

I have was working with files last week and everything we fine other than running slower so it seems. I was putting together some 5 and 6 image panos. The first time I noticed something was a miss was when I was working with a curve adjustment layer and there was no OK to commit. I am able to open files from Bridge and or Lightroom but if I edit in PS I can’t save. I did a full uninstall and I did have remains of the Beta that I couldn’t remove so I ran the CS3 clean application and did a fresh install and update. Still get the Bridge Net Meeting error that will not install. I also did delete all presets and I am now back to ave no CS3. CS3 did run for just over a month before this happened.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 28, 2007
A full uninstall and re-install will leave the Preference files intact. The CS3 clean application may not get them either.

The only sure way is if you get a confirmation dialog when using the 3-fingered salute (Ctrl+Alt+Shift) or physically deleting the contents of:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings
TB
Terry_Babij
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks John Been There…..

I did sleep on it and came up with a work around. I created another user and started PS and all menus work without issue. I have now lost all customization and presets but it’s better than the alternative!! I am wondering if I was to copy my files not preferences over to the new profile and then copy the new profile back over the original if I would overwrite the corupted part of the original profile that appears to have caused this 3 day loss of work?

Terry
KB
Kami_Brady
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. Here’s what eventually worked, so I thought I’d share:

I spent nearly 45 minutes on the phone with Adobe tech support (who was terrific, btw). He had me do a clean uninstall of CS3 and, after uninstall, go into C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings

AND go into Program files and delete any remaining top-level CS3 folders even if there didn’t appear to be anything in the folders. I had done all of this the night before except deleting the remaining folder.

Then reboot.

Go into msconfig utility and check the box that says "disable all Microsoft apps/programs on startup" … then go into Control Panel admin utility and create a new user. Reboot and select the new user you created.

Reinstall CS3 and check to see that all works. It did for me. So, we went back into the msconfig utility and set the startup back to the defaults I had before we disabled all MIcrosoft apps. Then reboot and select my old user profile.

All is working now. 🙂
KS
Kristine_Schachinger
Jul 6, 2007
after numerous reloads i figured the box has to be there somewhere, so i just started hitting action keys and key sets.. finally – hit the esc key and the hidden dialog box went away.. then went back to open (this issue was also with save, open as and new) .. and up popped an enormous dialog box that went over two screens.. but now seems to be working ok.. hope this helps! Kristine

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections