Monitor Profile . . . appears to be defective?

BL
Posted By
Bob_Lund
Jun 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Windows Vista Ultimate, 4GB memory, Photoshop CS2

I recently purchased and hooked up a pair of Samsung LCD monitors, model number 205BW’s. When I start Photoshop, I get the error message "The monitor profile ‘Samsung – Natural Color Pro 1.0 ICM’ appears to be defective. Please rerun your monitor calibration software".

If I quickly click the ‘Ignore Profile’ button, Photoshop opens without seeming further problem. If I wait a second, a further error box appears, "Unable to continue because of a hardware or system error. Sorry, but this error is unrecoverable", and Photoshop closes.

I don’t calibrate my displays, and the displays installed ‘automatically’ in Vista when I hooked them up, then I installed the Samsung "Natural Color Pro" software. Help appreciated, I’m not a computer guru 🙂 Thanks for your time and help, Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Charlie_Choc
Jun 19, 2007
Not sure how to fix the profile, but if you go into control panel / color management you can remove it from the profiles associated with your monitor, or change it so it isn’t the default, and Photoshop shouldn’t see it any more. I’d also contact Samsung and ask them if they have a profile for Vista. —
Charlie…
http://www.chocphoto.com
BL
Bob_Lund
Jun 22, 2007
Thank you Charlie. I fooled with it a bit and chose Adobe 1998. I see now that ‘it’ has changed the profile to sRGB IE61966-2.1. No more error messages, and my images look fine on the screen. I’ll tackle printing later.

I visited your web, VERY nice work! Thanks again for your help – Bob
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jun 22, 2007
Bob,

The color profile for your monitor should be set to one truly representing your monitor’s color response rather than some color standard such as Adobe RGB 1998 which will mostly likely be a much broader color gamut. If ‘it’ is Photoshop, I’m not sure how ‘it’ has changed the profile to sRGB, unless you have your color settings in your preferences set up to allow Photoshop to automatically convert the colors of an image you open to the color space you’ve set up for your workspace. On the other hand, it could be your image is already tagged with the sRGB profile and has been opened with that profile maintained. I don’t recall if the default color workspace for Photoshop is sRGB or Adobe RGB 1998, but it may well be the former. And, if your colors look fine on screen, then perhaps you’ve got a monitor with a factory-set response that comes close to mimicking the sRGB color gamut.

The colors may look good on screen but I’d hazard a guess as to say that with the narrower gamut of a screen, there are likely several color profiles that would provide what appears to be a "fine image" on screen, but when you go to print them, you may find quite a different result. Of course, you can always try it and see what happens…you might just get lucky.

Generally speaking, the sRGB color profile is what is most often cited as having a color space that monitors are more likely to mimic, and in fact you may find some monitors even offer an sRGB color selection. How accurate they are in providing good match to the profile I’m not sure, but I’d guess selecting that color setting for the monitor is better than doing nothing. I believe I’ve also read that if you simply do a monitor reset, the factory calibration is often targeted at sRGB.

But, overall, I’d strongly encourage you to consider buying a colorimeter and performing your own monitor profiling if you want to improve the accuracy and repeatability of editing your images to produce prints that are well-matched to what you view onscreen. If price is a concern, the Huey which is priced under $100 US has seen some good reviews.

Regards,

Daryl
TT
Todd_Tevlin
Oct 20, 2007
Hopefully someone sees this since the last post was back in June. Here’s the thing, I’m having exactly the same problem with CS2 and my Samsung 226CW color profile.

It says exactly everything that the previous poster said but the problem I see is no matter if I click ignore or use anyway, the color white is not white, it’s yellow. Everything else within PS (menus, etc) show as white, it’s just the palette that comes up as yellow. If I open up my browser or anything else, white is white. It’s only photoshop that’s freaking out with this.

Like I said it happens regardless of what button I press and I feel no amount of color calibration is going to fix it because photoshop doesn’t seem to care one way or the other. Any idea what is causing it?

My system is running XP with 2 gig of ram.
CF
Carmine_Filloramo
Jan 3, 2008
I had the same message. Natural Color Pro 1.0 ICM’ appears to be defective. Please rerun your monitor calibration software".

I downloaded the updated driver from Samsung and that does not happen anymore.

I just get blocked up blacks after the calibration with the display one eye2 calibrator.

If I take away that profile the blocked blacks go away. Any ideas out there.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jan 3, 2008
Carmine,

How do you attach the Eye one to your display?

Rob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections