AO
Posted By
Andrew Olcott
Sep 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Creating a custom Bit (Pixel) Depth in photoshop.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AO
Andrew Olcott
Sep 2, 2003
I need to convert existing 24 and 32 bit images into color 12 bit images (16 colors a channel). Does anyone know how I might go about this.

Another alternative I thought of (but dont know how to do) is create a 12 bit pallete, and have the 24 bit or 32 bit images dither using it.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc… would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
P
Phosphor
Sep 2, 2003
Use the posterize command.

But how are you planning to save these images?
AO
Andrew Olcott
Sep 2, 2003
I am unsure. What I am currently thinking is that If I can covert a copy of image into 12 bit I will then copy those pixels back into the original image, with their new color information. The software I am using these images in (Director)is not the problem, it is the display that they will be shown on (12 bit screen). I am trying to create 24 bit images that only use colors found in the 12 bit pallete. What do you think?
SC
shan canfield
Sep 3, 2003
Why not just duplicate the file and convert the duplicate by going under Image>Mode>Index Color. This will give you an 8-bit palette (256 colors) which should be fine for a 12-bit screen.
P
Phosphor
Sep 4, 2003
It’s been a while since I’ve used Director much. I’d do the images with an 8-bit palette. You’ll get better performance than using a 12-bit or 24-bit palette. I believe director would 12-bit images as 24-bit anyway.

You only need to convert one image to 8-bit. When you import it into Director it will also place the palette in the cast member list. You can then use this palette to transform any remaining images.

The best app to use for this is actually debabelizer. It can analyze all of your images and create the "ideal" palette to use on all of them.

Also don’t forget to set your stage properties to use the new palette.

–Wow edit is back. What’s old is new again.–

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections