Ian_C._Jaffray
Jun 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

Running Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

Download of ADBEPHSPCS3_WWE.EXE to the Desktop was fine. No previous Betas on system, which meets specs.

"Adobe CS3" folder gets created, Setup.exe starts to run, "Adobe Setup" dialog comes up from about 10 seconds, disappears.

Nothing gets installed, nothing is running.

Any suggestions, explanations, etc?

Thanks for any help. Rant to follow …

Ian J.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JC
Jordan_Cox2
Jun 18, 2007
Same issue here. Setup.exe has been idly running for a few hours in the background (no UI). Do you have Setup.exe in your Task Manager?
JC
Jordan_Cox2
Jun 18, 2007
Also, did you notice that the dialog after extraction says "[ ] Run Adobe Photoshop CS3" instead of "[ ] Install Adobe Photoshop CS3", or was I just seeing things?
JC
Jordan_Cox2
Jun 18, 2007
Interestingly enough I just found this in my event viewer (occurring shortly after I clicked the setup.exe)

"Product: Adobe Setup — Installation operation completed successfully." – interesting.
JC
Jordan_Cox2
Jun 18, 2007
I’m also noticing that if you run setup from a command prompt, it yields: "Begin Adobe Setup
UI mode: Full GUI
< the progress bar dialog appears and disappears here (a matter of seconds elapse > End Adobe Setup. Exit code: 0"
IC
Ian_C._Jaffray
Jun 18, 2007
Hi Jordan,

In my case setup.exe does not keep running. Nothing shows in Task Manager after the few seconds that the "Adobe Setup" dialog appears.

Yes, after extraction it says "Launch Adobe Photoshop CS3", with that option checked as the default choice. There is another option as well, which says "Open the specified folder" and then the name of the folder you extracted to.

I get this sequence of messages in Event Viewer, under Windows Logs – Application:

Product: Adobe Setup — Internal Error 2739.

Product: Adobe Setup — Installation operation failed.

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Adobe Setup. Product Version: 1.0. Product Language: 0. Installation success or error status: 1603.

I have not been able to run the setup.exe from a command prompt.

I have tried to edit the ContainerProxy.js script as has worked for some, with no results.

I have moved the ADBEPHSPCS3_WWE.EXE file to the root of C:\, extracted to a folder at the root and attempted to install from there. setup.exe fails as usual.

Ian J.
JC
Jordan_Cox2
Jun 19, 2007
Very interesting that the event viewer shows it as failing. Mine always says that it succeeded even though it does nothing.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc3ddab> – Have you tried registering the dll described in this thread?
IC
Ian_C._Jaffray
Jun 19, 2007
Hi Jordan,

Dang. That worked. I had been reluctant to try that suggestion because … well, everything else on this machine was working.

I had previously put the ADBEPHSPCS3_WWE.EXE file at the root of C: (probably not necessary), I then registered the jscript.dll as instructed, then ran the chose the .EXE file, and then chose the "Launch …" option after the "Adobe CS3" folder was created. This time, I saw the progress bar, and installation proceeded to completion in short order. At the end of that I chose the restart option. Started PS, chose "trial" option … Step Three: Profit.

I found this explanation about why the command prompt has to be used, rather than the "Run" command:

"To register activex control to local machine(not only current user) successfully, developers must right click on “Command Prompt” in Accessories and click “Run as Administrator”, then run “regsvr32 foo.dll” in the command window. It’s due to Vista’s new feature, not a activex’s bug."

Thanks very much for the prompt to try this "fix", Jordan. I hope it indicates that Adobe can fix their installation program. And I really hope it worked for you, too.

Ian J.
IC
Ian_C._Jaffray
Jun 19, 2007
Something I should mention after getting Photoshop to install using the register jscript.dll method …

Media Player ceased to function. Began behaving just like the PS install: click on icon to start Media Player … nothing. Reboot, nothing, etc.

I unregistered jscript.dll, rebooted. Media Player still didn’t function, but hey, now the clock in the Sidebar was also dead, just a clock-like graphic, unmoving.

I re-registered jscript.dll, removed the clock from the sidebar, then re-added it. Seems happy now. And Media Player works again. Sort of confirms my original reluctance to chance breaking things that were working. Also, not my job to fix Adobe products …

Do I dare try PS again? I did, and it took about 30 seconds to open an image, then popped up the "You have 30 days left in your trial period." I don’t think it’s going to take 30 days to decide, frankly!

Also, as may be related to all of this, Flash 9 no longer will "stay" operative in IE7. It will last as long as the browswer isn’t shut down and restarted, then needs reinstalling.

Good luck!
JC
Jordan_Cox2
Jun 20, 2007
Ian, glad that helped! It’s weird that it seems to be causing so many other issues with your other applications though. Perhaps it wasn’t registering the dll, but it was something that PS3’s installer did? We’ll never know.
IC
Ian_C._Jaffray
Jun 21, 2007
I’ve done a System Restore back to June 17, before all this waste of time started. Media Player ceased to be able to be started, for one thing. Flash Player still won’t stay installed past a reboot, and there’s a few other issues that remain in IE7. But at least I can forestall any other creeping Adobe issues by going back in time.

I think the jscript.dll is perhaps a fix that gets the PS installer script going, but also breaks other Vista features.

I’ll try again in a couple of months, as Adobe will eventually figure the installation issues out. There’s too much money at stake for them not to do so, and dealing with support issues is just an expense.

Ian J.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections