KM
Posted By
kevin.mx
Jun 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have some Chinese fonts installed in my windows/font directory, photoshop cs3 always hang/crash when i try to use the type tool. After I remove the Chinese fonts, photoshop back to normal.

the Chinese fonts are good and valid, they work very well with other windows programs including photoshop cs2.

also notice mac user may also has similar problem if the system has some "strange" font installed.

kevin

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Jun 17, 2007
could be a bug, if you’re sure the fonts are clean. i’d report it.
IC
Ivy_Chan
Jun 20, 2007
Kevin, may I have the Chinese fonts list that you have in your system? Could you point me to the site that I can get those fonts? It may be a bug and we want to narrow down it. Thanks
KM
kevin.mx
Jun 20, 2007
After I re-install my windows xp, the problem disppear, strange! I am not sure what’s wrong with my previous windows xp system.

But photoshop cs3 still seems not happy with some of Chinese fonts, e.g. microsoft.li.TTF (i upload to a free file sharing site, you can download from this link <http://www.mediafire.com/?6jjbpxmzo0m> or from <http://font.85888.com/soft/4524.html> a free font download site). this Chinese font is from microsoft.

this font works well with photoshop cs2, but give the following error in photoshop CS3: Could not complete your request because something prevented the text engine from being initialized. Here is the screen shot:
< http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=6xmim94i9jj& amp;thumb=4>

other font with similar problem are: microsoft Xin Kai (http://font.85888.com/soft/4526.html), even with Adobe’s own font: Adobe Song Std (this one probably come from my Chinese version of Acrobat Reader)

let me know whether u can duplicate the same error message in your windows.

kevin
EA
eugene.atx
Jun 25, 2007
My windows computer has a clean install of CS3 and Photoshop always crashes when I use the type tool. What gives?
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 25, 2007
Probably a bad font.

How many have you got, and are any of them freebies from the Web?
EA
eugene.atx
Jun 25, 2007
There are 407 fonts my windows font folder. IT staff imaged this windows xp machine only 2 weeks ago. I haven’t installed any new fonts and the font set I’m using now I believe is the standard set from windows. Maybe reinstalling CS3 might fix the problem? Dunno. Concerned.
L
LenHewitt
Jun 25, 2007
Maybe reinstalling CS3 might fix the problem?<<

I’d try trashing your prefs as per the Forum FAQs first.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 26, 2007
That, and delete the Adobe font list files wherever they are found (several locations; use Start > Search and look for AdobeFnt*.lst, using advanced options to search hidden files and directories). They will be automatically recreated as needed. One of these may be corrupt.
EA
eugene.atx
Jun 26, 2007
So far, so good. This morning I applied the suggestions from Len and Michael. The type tool is working normal as far as i can tell. Thanks group.
L
LenHewitt
Jun 26, 2007
You’re very welcome, Eugene
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 27, 2007
Great!
P
pkshan
Jul 1, 2007
I’ve got the same problem,
After I installed DrEye, (a Chinese translation software) cs3 just stop working. 🙁
I deleted AdobeFnt*.lst files,no luck at all.
RH
Ryan_Hartsell
Jul 9, 2007
I have a project I am working on with a tight deadline… The text tool is a critical tool that I need to use in a productive manner to complete the job I am working on… The text tool in CS3 is frustratingly painful to use and crashes my comp every time I select type to edit… Please address this issue as soon as possible, for now CS3 is unusable for me as I have no time at the moment to problem solve this issue… In the meantime I have had to go back to an earlier version.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 9, 2007
Please address this issue as soon as possible

What would you like me to do?

It doesn’t happen on my computer!

Did you read the FAQ on this USER-TO-USER forum?
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 9, 2007
In the FAQ you will see advice on how to get help quickly and how to reset your preferences — which may well cure your problem.
KM
kevin.mx
Jul 16, 2007
Hi Ryan Hartsell:

I had the same experience and feeling as you.

good luck!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections