Posted By
Birck_Cox
Mar 28, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS3, G5 PowerMac Dual 2GHz w/ 7GB RAM
A weird Photoshop problem: using the type tool, I can only produce type in large-and-small-caps, as opposed to upper and lower case. I can’t generate any lowercase text. I’ve tried all the usual diagnostic tools: trashing the prefs seemed to work at first, but it’s destructive of other stuff I don’t want to lose, and anyway the problem came back after a while. I tried the Phantom User, and learned that the problem is tied to my User Identity, i.e., the problem doesn’t exist in other User identities, but how do I make use of that information? I considered migrating to a new user identity, but I would have to go through every single appliciation, blah blah blah. So: does anybody have a quick, elegant solution to this, or is this a problem that has suddenly cropped up elsewhere? I’m not crippled by it, thanks to Illustrator CS3, but it’s a convenience that I miss. And how do I trash the PS prefs without losing my brush tool presets?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 28, 2009
Birck,

trashing the prefs seemed to work at first, but it’s destructive of other stuff I don’t want to lose,

What "destruction" are you talking about?

and anyway the problem came back after a while.

I assume this happens with fonts other than those (such as Trajan Std) that were designed with just caps and small caps. It sounds like it may be a duplicate or corrupted font issue. Did you use a good font manager to check for duplicate or corrupted fonts? Did you clear font caches (with Cocktail)?

tried the Phantom User,

I see a black mask, cape and scary organ music here. <g> If logging in as a new user clears the problem, you may have a corrupted user identity and should stop using it.

Neil
RA
R_Aviles
Mar 28, 2009
Birck

A weird Photoshop problem: using the type tool, I can only produce type in large-and-small-caps, as opposed to upper and lower case. I can’t generate any lowercase text.

Did you check to see that you did not inadvertently select the All Caps option from the flyout menu in Text mode (the one to the right of the Character and Paragraph tabs). Or, the shortcut shift-command-K, which does the same thing?

Rafael

Edited for typo
B
Buko
Mar 28, 2009
sounds like he has the small caps checked in the character panel.
BC
Birck_Cox
Mar 30, 2009
Gentlemen, thank you very much for the tips. They have solved the problem. I need to rebuild or replace my user identity, clearly, but for the moment, I was totally unaware of the powers of the flyout menu on the Character panel, and your tips have taken care of the problem. Since, I have noticed, the problem occasionally mutates on the fly, i.e., while in use, it’s probably due to a fumbled KB combination, and the corrupted user ID. Thanks for the help.
PS-No scary organ music; more appropriate would be the Three Stooges’ "Wah-wah-waaaah".

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections