SS
Posted By
Stewart_Sear
Mar 26, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anyone else come across this problem?

Try this test: Open up a new psd using the default photoshop settings (RGB colour/8 bit; Color Settings: North American General Purpose 2; proof setup – working cmyk) and fill the bg with any colour (for example #ff0000) now do a screenshot of anything, then open up the screenshot png in photoshop. Now switch between the psd and the png and watch the colour in your palette in your photoshop toolbar change!

Anyone know what’s going on?! It’s happened a few times to me, on different macs

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Mar 26, 2009
The Screenshot will probably have Your screen-profile embedded while Your psd has srgb, so the color-spaces differ.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 26, 2009
Pngs don’t let you embed profiles.
You can always change things so that Screen shots are saved as JPEGs. I did it via Cocktail’s: Interface/General/
BP
Bob_Peters
Mar 30, 2009
I have no idea how I happened to stumble across this discussion. Clearly, I did.

I just captured a portion of the screen using ‘CMD+SHIFT+4’ and then opened the PNG file in Photoshop. The file had an embedded profile: my monitor profile.

Leopard (10.5.6)
B
Buko
Mar 30, 2009
That is correct. thats how Apple does it.
R
Ram
Mar 31, 2009
Ann is correct. PNGs generally do not support embedded profiles. Apple somehow manages to circumvent that when creating screen shots.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 31, 2009
I have set my computer to save screen shots as jpegs because it makes it so much quicker to upload them directly to Pixentral.
R
Ram
Mar 31, 2009
I have set my computer to save screen shots as jpegs

Of course! It was even worse for a while when Apple saved screen shots as PDFs. You want as small a file as possible when you make a screen shot—unless you want it in a book that’s going to be printed.
R
Ram
Mar 31, 2009
A script or action to convert the screen shot from your monitor profile to sRGB comes in pretty handy too.
L
Lundberg02
Apr 1, 2009
Where do you set screenshots to be jpg, in Preview? I don’t see it anywhere.
R
Ram
Apr 1, 2009
I do it through "Screenshots", a third-party preference panel accessible through Apple menu > System Preferences > Screenshots.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1hjdSszuV8cyh9MvSh sDRQ6iseuTF>

It can also be done through Cocktail and other utilities.
B
Buko
Apr 1, 2009
I use cocktail. Preview has nothing to do with screenshots being saved.
R
Ram
Apr 1, 2009
If you’re comfortable with the Terminal, that’s all you need.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections