PS CS3: Opened up 63 images at once. Now PS is slow to open up 1 image at a time.

ML
Posted By
Michael_LaCoy
Mar 19, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Well, I just reinstalled Mac OS X to try and solve some issues I was having. It was less of a hassle than I thought it would be. Solved the problems I was having with Illustrator. Everything was running fantastic.

But, I was just working in Photoshop, opening about ~20-30 small PNG’s (from 4kb to 50kb) at a time to resize, grayscale, etc. I opened up 63 PNGs at once to make things go quicker. They all opened up, with a bit of lag. Now, if I even try to open up 1-5 PNG’s at a time, they open very slow. Saving, and editing the images are quick and responsive. It’s just opening the files that gives me a slowdown.

Is there anyway to reset some memory settings? Or clear some cache? I believe this is what caused my issues with Illustrator before (opening too many files at once.)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Mar 19, 2009
you can restart Photoshop

or

Edit > purge > all
ML
Michael_LaCoy
Mar 19, 2009
I can’t seem to edit my post. But here’s my system specs: 2×2.66ghz Intel Mac with 5gb ram, OSX 10.5.6
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 19, 2009
How did you re-install OSX? Was it through Archive & Install?

Since doing that, have you Repaired Permissions?

I also recommend that you run DiskWarrior and Cocktail (or Onyx as some others do).
ML
Michael_LaCoy
Mar 19, 2009
I did a complete reinstall. Erase & Install. 10.4 -> 10.5.6 Reinstalled Creative Suite3
Ran very fast, until I opened up 63 PNG’s at once. Since then, it takes about 2 minutes to open up 5-10 PNG’s.

I have Repaired Permissions in Disk Utility.

Downloading Onyx now…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 19, 2009
I suggest running Disk Warrior too because your Directories probably got corrupted.

Also try trashing your Photoshop Prefs —especially since you re-installed CS3
P
Phosphor
Mar 19, 2009
"I suggest running Disk Warrior too because your Directories probably got corrupted."

Please substantiate your hunch.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 20, 2009
Because, in my experience, it is almost always necessary after a major software installation.

He re-installed OSX and he then installed CS3 — that is a major installation by my book.

Just run the DW Graph and see how much data is "Out of order".
ML
Michael_LaCoy
Mar 20, 2009
Onyx made no improvement.
Cocktail made no improvement.
I’m not going to spend $100 on DiskWarrior on a hunch…
P
PShock
Mar 20, 2009
Because, in my experience, it is almost always necessary after a major software installation.

Ann –
Necessary? Sorry, but that’s almost laughable. In 15 years, I’ve NEVER ran DiskWarrior after an install (of any kind), nor have I ever heard of this advice from anyone but you, including industry experts. If DW helped you after an install, you needed to run it before the install.

-phil
B
Buko
Mar 20, 2009
If a directory is fragmented then the computer will run slow.

whether you fix your directory before or after an install is really of no consequence but DW is a necessary tool to keep your computer running smoothly.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 20, 2009
Michael:

That’s up to you — you are the one who has to work with your computer.

——–

Phil:

Do you actually use, or even own, the complete CS4 Suite?

And have you ever checked the percentage of out of order data on your HDs?

If it’s more than about 3%, your performance will increase considerably if you clean it up. (You can check it in a few seconds with DW’s Graph.)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 20, 2009
ML
Michael_LaCoy
Mar 20, 2009
Okay, just to add to the confusion:

When I open up a smaller amount (25 or so) of these files, it takes quite a while (~3-4minutes). After I have about 100 of them open, Photoshop starts performing like it’s brand new. I can open up 25+ and it will take ~3-5 seconds to open them up.

So at the moment, it’s running flawless with around 150 windows open. But once I close all of those images, it bogs down again when opening files.

I’m confused.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 20, 2009
My guess is that your data is fragmented all over your Hard Drive; your Directories are overwritten and corrupt;
and that you don’t have a large enough dedicated Scratch Drive.

But you don’t want to hear it!

8/
MC
Murray_Coppold
Mar 20, 2009
I believe Disk Warrior only rebuilds the disk directory which, of course is a huge benefit. But it does not defrag the hard drive.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 20, 2009
DW does just rebuild the Directories — but they can easily become corrupt with over-written data.
R
Ram
Mar 21, 2009
Nobody said DW defragments a drive in OS X. It came with a utility that did in Mac OS 9.2.

DiskWarrior rebuilds the directory so that there are no items out of place, big difference but more important than defragmenting. OS X defragments the drive on the fly, over time.
P
PShock
Mar 22, 2009
Ann –

Do you actually use, or even own, the complete CS4 Suite?

Not that it’s of any relevance (at all), to this discussion, but yes. I own and use the complete suite. What’s your point?

And have you ever checked the percentage of out of order data on your HDs?

No. I don’t worry about things that are non-problems. The only time I find a need to run DW is when I begin to have noticeable issues and that’s very rare. I never had a need when using Tiger when this machine was new, nor have I needed to with Leopard – that’s about a 3-year span.

If it’s more than about 3%, your performance will increase considerably if you clean it up. (You can check it in a few seconds with DW’s Graph.)

For giggles, I ran the graph procedure a few days ago and obtained a reading of 17% out of order. According to you, repairing anything over 3% should increase performance "considerably". I went ahead and rebuilt the directories – and experienced absolutely no noticeable difference in performance (which is exactly what I expected).

DiskWarrior is great and has saved me many times over the years. I’ve recommended it to countless friends and coworkers and I’m never without the current version. However, there’s just no point in running it constantly and there’s certainly no need to adopt a regimen to run it after every install – major or otherwise. It may make you feel better, but it’s simply a placebo.

-phil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 23, 2009
It is no "placebo" and running it after installing the CS4 Suite definitely seemed to improve performance here.

But if you already have DW, what on earth do you have against using it?

17% out of order is high and I would be concerned of reaching the point where the Directories are so damaged that DW can no longer repair the Disk and you have to wipe it.

That would involve a great deal more time and effort even if you do have a flawless back-up

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections