MB
Posted By
mike_bradshaw
Mar 18, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there some way to assign filters to a folder? The idea being any layer within the folder has an ‘unsharp mask…’ (for instance) applied to it.

I am using the ‘pixel replacement’ feature and I would like the images that get pulled in to have specific ‘unsharp mask…’ settings as they get pulled in.

I thought maybe if the layer with my pixel replacement variable was in a folder that had ‘unsharp mask’ assigned to it any image pulled in would have that filter applied to it.

Unless someone knows a better way to do this…

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
PeterK.
Mar 18, 2009
If by folder you mean a "group," then no you can’t assign a filter to it. You could, however, turn a layer into a smart object. The smart object can have smart filters assigned to it that are readjustable. From there you can double-click on the smart object to open the individual layers contained in it and define your variables in there. Save your edits and they will be reflected in the smart object (which still has your unsharp mask filter applied on it).
MB
mike_bradshaw
Mar 21, 2009
Hi PeterK,

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I did mean "group". I tend to call it a folder because the little icon is a folder but I think it’s been referred to as a layer set or layer group w/ the most recent Photoshop versions.

Anyway, I was trying the smart object route, however, the positioning is totally off on the pixel replacement, for some reason. That is, it works perfectly until I convert the image being replaced into a smart object and then the subsequent images get replaced in the wrong position.

Anyway, I’m still messing with this positing point but I was hoping possibly someone knew of some other non smart object or smart filter route.

mike
JM
J_Maloney
Mar 21, 2009
Mike, a group with a solid fill layer in it will turn smart object with the same size "canvas" as the original doc, but I think somehow your problem remains, just hidden. Other "canvas size" strategies? Anyone?
B
Buko
Mar 21, 2009
with just the group visible do a shift+option+command+E this will give you a flattened version of the group. make it a smart object and apply the filter to that.
MB
mike_bradshaw
Mar 21, 2009
Well, I’ve been doing a bunch more tests on this and it doesn’t look like ‘pixel replacement’ even works with ‘smart objects’.

There’s literally no way to define the variable once I convert my ‘original’ image to a smart object. The ‘pixel replacement’ option disappears. I hadn’t even noticed that, at first, when I made my earlier posts.

I was turning on "visibility" in the variable type and pasting in my variable in the "Name" field and wondering why it wasn’t working. OOps..

So, it doesn’t look like ‘smarts’ will work here…
MB
mike_bradshaw
Mar 21, 2009
So I guess I either need ‘pixel replacement’ to work with smart objects or be able to apply filters to a group.

Maybe I should make some feature requests….
B
Buko
Mar 22, 2009
why not try what I said in post 4 without making a smart object.
MB
mike_bradshaw
Mar 23, 2009
Alright, thanks for the suggestion.

I didn’t realize those were the quick keys for flattening a group. That’s all it’s doing right… Or does that do something else besides just flatten it? When I look in my history it’s calling it a "stamp".

However, It literally just gave me a flattened version of my group, which allowed pixel replacement to work again but any filters I applied to the flattened group were just appled to the original and not the images that get pulled in.
MB
mike_bradshaw
Mar 23, 2009
Alright, thanks for the suggestion.

I didn’t realize those were the quick keys for flattening a group. That’s all it’s doing right… Or does that do something else besides just flatten it? When I look in my history it’s calling it a "stamp". Not familiar with that…

It didn’t seem to do much but give me a flattened version of my group, which allowed pixel replacement to work again but any filters I applied to the flattened group were just appled to the original and not the images that get pulled in.

Not sure if I did what you were suggesting….
JM
J_Maloney
Mar 23, 2009
Post-merge processing. Data merge (pixel replacement), then flatten and sharpen. Why can’t you sharpen as a second process to all graphics (full-canvas flat art)? Or just use bicubic sharper as your default algorithm which I’m assuming applies to resampling done by the "fit" commands in pixel replacement.
MB
mike_bradshaw
Mar 23, 2009
Well, I tried sharpening as a final process after flattening, however, it’s just the replaced image that I want to apply the sharpen to, not the entire canvas area. The replaced image is appearing in a masked portion of the final image and I don’t want to sharpen then entire image.

Unless there’s a way to sharpen in a specifically masked section of the photo as a final process. that might work.
ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 23, 2009
try this: flatten a copy(command+shift+option+e), sharpen that layer, add a layer mask to constrain the sharpening to only the desired areas and then flatten the whole thing
MB
mike_bradshaw
Mar 23, 2009
Yeah, that would work. A little messy… I’m using it on several thousand product shots so I would have to try and create a batch action that will do it automatically. After the pixel replacement is run.

I guess I was trying to find some feature or functionality that maybe I didn’t know about, that could be applied to this.

I would consider the above a more brute force solution.
B
Buko
Mar 24, 2009
try this: flatten a copy(command+shift+option+e)

Nobody reads post 4
MB
mike_bradshaw
Mar 24, 2009
Hi Buko,

I saw post #4, thanks. What I ran into though is, the problem is not that I couldn’t flatten a group, its still that pixel replacement didn’t work on a smart object. and if I flatten my smart object it doesn’t become so smart anymore…

Unless I’m still not tracking with what you are saying.
B
Buko
Mar 24, 2009
Nobody reads post 7.

Don’t make it a smart object.
MB
mike_bradshaw
Mar 24, 2009
Yeah, saw post #7 too, thanks, I applied a filter to the flattened image, however, that doesn’t work either…?
P
PeterK.
Mar 24, 2009
If you double click on the smart object, you can then apply your variables to the layers within, which are just regular layers like any other. I’m not sure if it will work as you need it to, but that’s the important distinction. The smart object is not like a regular layer, but the layers inside the smart object can be your usual bitmap layer elements (or even unusual elements like vector art).
MB
mike_bradshaw
Mar 25, 2009
Its a good concept, I tried that earlier and then just tried it again, however, the layers within a ‘smart object’ do not show up as a layer I can define a variable for. It just shows the ‘smart object’ layer itself, not the layers within the ‘smart object’…:(
P
PeterK.
Mar 25, 2009
It seems to show up fine for me. When I double-click on the smart object, the layers within can have pixel replacement defined for them.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=13IQwOPZfRe5fdAA9O rUPD2LyPSl0>
MB
mike_bradshaw
Mar 27, 2009
Hey Peter, I’m still trying to figure this out.

I think the difference between what you’re doing and what I’m doing is, I’m trying to assign the pixel variable to the overall file. You tried to assign the pixel variable within the smart object.

In the smart object I can assign a pixel variable, as well, but that doesn’t help me as I export the overall file and need it assigned there.

I’m starting to think it is feature request, material.
P
PeterK.
Mar 27, 2009
I’m not sure I’m understanding what you need. If you apply the variable to the layer in the smart object, that layer, whatever is brought in to replace it, will become the content of the smart object, and in turn have the unsharp mask applied to it. You can’t apply the variables directly to the smart object, but you can double click on the smart object and apply them to the layer within. From there you would treat the replacement as normal, the smart object would update with that change, and the sharpen filter would apply on to that updated smart object. It may be that double-clicking on the smart object to get to the layer that will have pixel replacement done is one step too many for whatever automation needs you may have, although it does work once you go into the smart object and start defining your variables there.
MB
mike_bradshaw
Mar 27, 2009
Maybe, I’m not explaining the whole picture well enough.

I need to be able to export the data sets of the overall .psd based on the variables I defined in the overall .psd file.

It doesn’t work to just assign the variables within the smart object and then try to export my data sets for the overall file. The overall file doesn’t have the variables I defined in it.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections