L
Posted By
LRK
Mar 17, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I must be missing something because I’m sure Adobe would make a way to keep this feature on all the time. But I’ve been through the preferences and can’t find it. Maybe someone can help me.

How can I make Photoshop CS4 Show All Menu Items – All the time. It slows me down and sometimes frustrates me having to keep clicking on this each time I need the full menu.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 18, 2009
Linda:

You just need to choose Window/Workspace/Essentials(Default) before setting up your own Workspace.

[Why that couldn’t simply have been labelled in straight-forward English as: "Show Complete Menus" is beyond my comprehension!]

8/
L
LRK
Mar 18, 2009
You just need to choose Window/Workspace/Essentials(Default) before setting up your own Workspace.

Hi Ann, Once again you’ve saved some of my sanity. You know I need all I can get. πŸ™‚ Thank you!
B
Buko
Mar 18, 2009
Why that couldn’t simply have been labelled in straight-forward English as: "Show Complete Menus" is beyond my comprehension!

Well Ann this is professional software, you can’t use simple language like that or like "show all menu items" that would be too simple.
NT
Nini Tj
Mar 18, 2009
I agree. "Essentials" to me sounds like "only show the basic menus and nothing else"….which makes you not choose it when out looking for all menus. On the other hand, English is not my first language.
B
Buko
Mar 18, 2009
Nothing wrong with your assessment of the situation Nini. That’s exactly how it sounds to us english and american speakers too.
L
LRK
Mar 18, 2009
I agree with thee three! πŸ™‚
R
Ram
Mar 19, 2009
On the other hand, English is not my first language.

Neither is mine, Nini. But to me "essentials" sounds like stripped down, barely functional, emasculated, as in Photoshop "Elements", too.
NT
Nini Tj
Mar 19, 2009
RamΓ³n,
Exactly.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Mar 19, 2009
Workspaces contain more than just the menus to display. If you just want to control just the menu items, go to Window> Workspace> Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus… Here you can choose ‘Photoshop Defaults’ from the Set: pull down on the Menus tab.

‘Essentials’ is used Suite wide and may make more sense in some of the other products. Unfortunately, Ps was burdened with ‘Essentials’ and ‘Basic’ (effectively antonyms) in the process.
B
Buko
Mar 19, 2009
We’ll forgive you guys this time Steve. B)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 19, 2009
But ONLY this time!

Just don’t let MM wag the dog next time!

πŸ™‚
L
LRK
Mar 19, 2009
Workspaces contain more than just the menus to display. If you just want to control just the menu items, go to Window> Workspace> Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus… Here you can choose ‘Photoshop Defaults’ from the Set: pull down on the Menus tab.

‘Essentials’ is used Suite wide and may make more sense in some of the other products. Unfortunately, Ps was burdened with ‘Essentials’ and ‘Basic’ (effectively antonyms) in the process.

Thank you Steve.
NT
Nini Tj
Mar 19, 2009
Essentials – as a term – doesn’t make any more sense in the other products than it does here. And I said as much at the time in other contexts but was rather alone with that opinion.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections