W
Posted By
Walfy
Mar 11, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop CS4 in 10.4.11, on a Dual-Core Intel Mac Pro.

My problem is that when I try to enlarge a file that is open in a window, it keeps wanting to click back to its original size. I click and drag the lower left-hand corner, but the window often snaps back to the original size. If I do it real slow or in a roundabout way, as apposed to jumping right in and dragging to the size I want, it won’t do it. It’s almost like I’m trying to trick it! It is terribly frustrating, as I often like to use the extra space for re-sizing layers that are larger than the main background of the image.

I’ve checked in preferences very carefully, and can’t find anything that will let me stop the window from snapping back to original position when I’m trying to make the window larger.

I’ve been using PS since version 3, and never had this problem before!

Please help!

thank you

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 11, 2009
Some things to consider:

Are you using the Application Frame?

If you are in Standard Screen mode, have you tried to re-size the window by pulling the bottom right-hand corner down and out (instead of the sides of the window)?

When you select the Zoom tool, what buttons have you clicked on the Application Bar? (There are keyboard shortcuts for zoom-levels and there is also the Birdseye View option if you can use OpenGL with CS4.

Have you tried working in Full Frame screen mode?
W
Walfy
Mar 11, 2009
Not using Application Frame mode. I’m in Standard Screen mode. I have tried to re-size the window by pulling the bottom right-hand corner down and out, as I indicated in my original post, and that is the core issue of my problem. When I pull the bottom right-hand corner down and out, it starts to work normally, but very quickly snaps back to the original size and my mouse is left "hanging," so to speak. I go back to the corner, try again, snaps back again. But if I do it very slowly, such as start by dragging the window to become SMALLER! then continue with the dragging by looping it out to then become larger – it doesn’t snap back!

Not using sides of the window to adjust window size, though that works. Advantage of using the lower right-hand corner is that I can adjust both side and bottom of window at once in one quick action. At least that’s the way it worked for me since Photoshop 3!

I do often work in Full Frame mode, but when I want to pull in layers from other open files, it’s nice to see everything I have in separate windows. Often, it is very helpful for me to adjust the size of the window to increase the gray area, when I want to free transform a layer that is larger than the image size. Also, I often like to see the image surrounded by the pure gray space, and not bounded by the distracting edges of the window.

I hope I’m making sense…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 11, 2009
Have you Repaired Permissions and run Cocktail (or Onyx) to clear-out caches etc. since you installed CS4?

Also, try trashing your Photoshop prefs..

If you are using the Application Frame, investigate the use of the new "N-up" Arrange Documents button on the Applications Bar to open multiple frames simultaneously.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections