Posted By
Rachel_W_Ho
Mar 9, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HI all,

I just upgrade to CS4 creative suite on my iMac and using for about 2 months. Everything is fine and great until recently.
Suddenly, I will always get this message "Cannot complete request because of a disk error" when I try to open or save the file in Photoshop CS4. Then, the program will freeze. Sometime re launch it will solve the problem but mostly not. I will need to force quit or restart my computer to make it go away. Also, when I start up the program, it takes a little bit longer than before to read the preference file. It will stay saying "reading preferences" for like about half to one minute.
First, I think there is a problem on my HD. I used disk utility to check it and the HD was fine. Also, the problem only happen in Photoshop but not others programs.
I really want to find out what’s the cause of it.
Does anyone can help me figure out the problem? Thanks!

Rachel

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GB
g_ballard
Mar 9, 2009
you need to BACK up your data now

then add "disk error" to your search (it has been covered before)

you could have "bad blocks" on one of your disks that a scratch disk is hitting, or a file written over a bad area that can no longer be accessed

Basically, I would get the BACKUP done, then "Carbon Copy Cloner" clone the hard driver over to a new drive — if you are lucky, the clone will get you back to work

If the problem is hitting on your Scratch Disk, you could try to "zerowrite" it to repair it

"" are all search words…
B
Buko
Mar 9, 2009
Superduper! is much better than CCC

other than that what G said
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 12, 2009
If completely zeroing out your drive does not work, the drive is bad, cannot be trusted to be reliable, and needs to be removed and relegated to paperweight or doorstop status.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections