Multi Channel with Clipping Path… Am I dreaming?

HB
Posted By
Hartley_Batchelder
Mar 5, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a 2 color book that is being illustrated. The illustrator is using Photoshop to create 2 color illustrations. These are saved as DCS 2, in Multichannel mode. I was talking to the designer today and have been told that the illustrations will be placed on tints and or patterns.

Is there a way for anyone to make a 2 channel image in Photoshop that will either have no background or with a clipping path?

What is happening when I try that now is that the image will only place into InDesign one channel at a time with a path.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Mar 5, 2009
forget the clipping path just save the files as PSD with the background off and place that in ID.
JS
Jeffrey_Smith
Mar 5, 2009
Hartley, this can be done, albeit a method without clipping paths and a few things to consider. You can create this art in PS with a layer (no background) and with the spot channels, then save as a Photoshop PDF. In the "Save as" dialog, make sure to enable Layers and Spot Colors. In InDesign for the art to preview correctly you will need to enable View > Overprint Preview. Note that without the Overprint Preview turned on, the art will export and print properly anyway.

Also note the spot channels will have a multiply effect over elements placed in InDesign. If you need the spot channels to knock out, instead of overprint or multiply, you will then need to create a white knock out area made in the CMYK channels. And this can be done by selecting each spot channel, and then filling with white in the CMYK channels.
JS
Jeffrey_Smith
Mar 5, 2009
Or better yet, as Buko posted, save as .psd file. And you can ignore all the knock out clutter.
HB
Hartley_Batchelder
Mar 6, 2009
Thank you both for the helpful responses.

I found that even with the overprint preview on and High Quality display on the .psd files displayed as grey boxes in Indesign. If I save the file as a pdf it displays correctly.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections