AW
Posted By
Alfred_Whitehead
Aug 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open Photoshop Elements 2 I get this error message: "This application has failed to start because PMDDTW5.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem." I have re installed and it did not fix the problem. I have not had a problem continuing on and using the program thus far. Still, there may be a problem with other areas of the program that I have not used yet. Google search and Adobe support search has not provided any clues.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 26, 2004
Do you have any installed plug-ins that might use this .dll file? I had a similar problem with an outdated plug-in. When I removed the plug-in, the problem/error went away.

Try doing a search just in your Photoshop folder and see if you can find this offending .dll culprit. It may provide the clue.

Also, the error message is a bit misleading. It doesn’t necessarily mean to reinstall Elements, it means to reinstall the application that contains this dll file.

Patti
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 26, 2004
Alfred_Whitehead wrote:
When I open Photoshop Elements 2 I get this error message: "This application has failed to start because PMDDTW5.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem." I have re installed and it did not fix the problem. I have not had a problem continuing on and using the program thus far. Still, there may be a problem with other areas of the program that I have not used yet. Google search and Adobe support search has not provided any clues.

Search google groups. That file is part of Epson scanner software.

Reinstall the Epson software for a possible fix.

Ed
AW
Alfred_Whitehead
Aug 27, 2004
Thank you for your reply.
I have not installed any plug ins. I had just reformatted my computer (trojans and dialers!) and then re-installed Elements 2.0 (I did not have this error msg before reformatting). Since It was ok before the reformat and it is a clean install of both Win XP Pro and Elements 2.0 I assumed it was a fault in Elements that "glitched" during the install. The error comes up during the lengthy startup of Elements and before the program opens to a working area. The same error comes up when I try to use my scanner from within the program. Therefore I believe it is connected to something that Elements does not see when it is setting up the various parameters of the program at startup. The scanner (Epson Perfection 1240U photo) is accessable from with Elements and works ok. I have used it several times with no problems. Since everything seems to work I’m just clicking the "ok" button on the error msg and continuing on. Still I would like to get it fixed. You know how us anal retentives are (smile).
AW
Alfred_Whitehead
Aug 27, 2004
Oops I missed the reply from Ed Wurster. But that does seem to confirm my theory. I will re-install the Scanner software. Thank you both.
AW
Alfred_Whitehead
Aug 27, 2004
Re-installed the scanner software/twain driver. Went to Epson and D/L’d latest update, installed and so far, so good. No error message. Thank you Patti and Ed.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections