SilverFast vs. VueScan: In which applications does each excel?

DC
Posted By
D_C_G
Aug 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m seeking comments from people who have used both SilverFast and VueScan. I’d like to know which product is best for 35mm slides, 50-year-old black and white negatives, 4×6 photographs, etc.

I’m scanning slides and negatives with a Nikon CoolScan V. I’m scanning photographs with an Epson Perfection 4870.

My reading seems to indicate that VueScan is better for negatives and slides, while SliverFast is better for photographs. But I would like to hear your experiences with these two products.

Thanks,
DCG

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
RSD99
Aug 23, 2004
I have tried both, and also EpsonScan, on an Epson Perfection 4870 for very similar tasks. I currently prefer SilverFast AI … primarily because I’m more comfortable working with its UI *and* because it actually has

(1) A for-real ‘Curves’ capability, and
(2) You can set the White Point, Black Point, and Middle Gray with a probe-like capability.

FWIW:
Not to be "uttering any disparaging words" … but I’ve seen people characterizing ViewScan as "a rolling Beta" …whatever that means.

wrote in message
I’m seeking comments from people who have used both SilverFast and VueScan. I’d like to
know which product is best for 35mm slides, 50-year-old black and white negatives, 4×6 photographs, etc.
I’m scanning slides and negatives with a Nikon CoolScan V. I’m scanning photographs with an Epson Perfection 4870.

My reading seems to indicate that VueScan is better for negatives and slides, while
SliverFast is better for photographs. But I would like to hear your experiences with these two products.
Thanks,
DCG
IS
Ian_Stickland
Aug 24, 2004
I can’t comment too much on Silverfast as I only tried the demo version while evaluating which software to use myself. However, I just could not get on with the interface at all, so ended up choosing VueScan!!

I only use Vuescan for negative/slide scanning as it doesn’t support my old and not very good HP flatbed scanner. I’ve used it now on hundreds of slides and negatives and can get excellent results from it. The user interface is basic, but has a lot of options to tweak results. I found these very useful for old Kodachrome slides up to 40 or so years old.

If you get Vuescan, get the pro-edition, it unlocks all the options and also allows you unlimited updates. It also has a very useful feature whereby you can make a raw scan, and then effectively re-scan from the RAW file. This reduces the no. of times you have to put what can be delicate slides through a scanner.

As far as I’m aware, Vuescan supports both of your scanners so you should be able to get consistent results and even compare the 35mm capabilities of both scanners (something I would be interested in!!).

I hope this helps, any further questions please ask!!

Ian.
CW
Carl_Wegner
Aug 28, 2004
DCG,

I have a Polaroid 4000 slide/neg scanner and an Epson flatbed. I use Vuescan for flatbed scans as superior to Epson’s software.

Polaroid shipped Silverfast along with their software, and I tried both as well as Vuescan, and prefer Polaroid’s interface and color results for my many Kodachrome slides. For me, Silverfast has too many options, as if trying to scan + Photoshop in one. I prefer to do very limited adjustments at scan time (mainly small cropping, & set white/black points), then do all the rest in Photoshop. This focuses my learning curve investment into PS.

I have not done many negatives, but so far I prefer Vuescan to Polaroid for negs. You have to do tests with each software’s film profiles for a few different images, as color results are highly dependent on these profiles. You should try your Nikon software as well. Don’t agonize over the results, but do compare several different images and then choose the software you like best (combination of ease of use and color results). Good luck.

Carl
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 29, 2004
Here’s a review of SilverFast 6, by Ian Lyons. It may help a little. <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/sfastv6/silverfastv61.htm>

🙂

Brent

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections