Photopshop 7 Closes When Initializing – can anyone help?

P
Posted By
pinky-angel
Aug 31, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using Photoshop on my computer for a while but recently it will not load up at all. When it is initializing on the start up it just shuts down without a trace.

I re-installed it, but I’m still having the same problems. Does anybody know why this would happen? As you can imagine the situation is desperate and I’ve looked around for answers but can’t find any.

Kelly

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GH
Grass Hopper
Aug 31, 2003
pinky-angel,

look very closely at the startup screen, as it is loading and tell us at what point does it shutdown. For instance is it while loading the fonts, the twain devices, brushes, color profiles etc.
P
pinky-angel
Aug 31, 2003
It closes whilst "initialising colour preferences"

Kelly
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 31, 2003
Try resetting your preferences per the procedure in the FAQ
L
LenHewitt
Aug 31, 2003
….and if re-setting prefs doesn’t work, you may have a bad ICC profile on your drive which will need removing. Could be worth re-making your monitor profile from Adobe Gamma
P
pinky-angel
Sep 3, 2003
I tried resetting the preferences – I can’t get the system to respond by holding down alt, ctrl & shift & when searching the only *.psp files I get are Paint Shot Pro images.

LenHewitt – What exactly is a bad ICC profile and how would I go about removing it? (excuse my ignorance!)

Kelly
L
LenHewitt
Sep 4, 2003
Kelly,

What O/S are you running?
P
pinky-angel
Sep 4, 2003
2000. Should I also mention that Image Ready still works, even though PS7 doesn’t…?

Kelly
L
LenHewitt
Sep 5, 2003
Kelly,

Your ICC Profiles will be located in:

C:\WinNT\System32\Spool\Drivers\Color.

If you do have bad profile it is likely to be a monitor profile that shipped with your system (or monitor).

Your Photoshop preference file will be located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\~Username\Application
Data\Adobe\Photoshop\7.0\Adobe Photoshop Settings
P
pinky-angel
Sep 6, 2003
I deleted the preferences and I now have a fully working version of Photoshop again!! Thank you for your help and patience – it was very frustrating for me to have such expensive software, but not have the slightest idea about how to fix it!

Kelly

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections